Signal strength help

My issue here is not so much about the legato runs themselves, more along the lines of a really, really hard pick attack after a legato run, which can clip the preamp.

My issue here is not so much about the legato runs themselves, more along the lines of a really, really hard pick attack after a legato run, which can clip the preamp.

Ok I get you. I'm curious to see what others will propose. I've not had this issue yet, only because I haven't recorded that kind of lick. But I would obviously have the same issue as you do.

If you're using active pickups, that shouldn't matter at all anyway. If you're using passive pickups, it might clip the DI input a little bit, but since that DI is later going to be distorted to hell and back, I highly doubt anyone will notice or care.

Just set the gain so that it doesn't clip on any hard pick attacks and you should be fine. I think you're over-thinking it a bit. High gain amp/sim will compress the legato stuff anyway. If it sounds good, it is good.