Splitting a guitar signal to run both an amp AND a DI?

nwright

Apr 19, 2005
New Castle, Indiana
www.myspace.com
Hey, I can't remember if this has been covered before, and it seems lately most who reamp (thus record a DI) use something like PODfarm on the front end.

What I want to do is track the DI while I am actually tracking the guitar tones. I have a Radial BigShot ABY to split my signal live, and it's awesome. However, in tests, when I run straight DI into my interface I have a bit hotter signal than when I run into the interface through the BigShot. I'm assuming this is because the BigShot is a passive ABY (even though it is buffered), so the signal loses strength as it is split.

To me the simple fix for this is to just up the mic pre's gain to match the level of the straight DI, but do any of you have anything other comments or advice?

It's probably a super dumb question, but I don't ever remember anyone addressing this on here, as it always seems to be PODfarm and the like that is used for tracking, thus I don't think those signals are split.

I was worried you guys would say that!

Any lower cost box you guys recommend? Countryman DI's are like 135-150, I'd like to find something less than half that (new or used) if possible.

Whirlwind Director, EDB1 or IMP2?

Hello there!

I use a DI Box by LD Systems LDI 02... works really great for me. In fact a friend of mine just told me he uses them always on stage for Richie Blackmore (Blackmores Night) instead of the much more expensive BSS DIs

greetings

Look used. I have bought a big portion of my recording gear used andd have never had any problems. Both interfaces, my amp, an AT4040, monitors... I saved a lot of money. You could get a countryman for 80ish. I've seen 'em. Don't go radial. It is more than the countryman and there is a shootout on here and the countryman is def one of your better bets for a cheap good DI. Or a redeye but they aren't the greatest for passive pickups.