Reamping: Level matching?

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
What do you guys do when reamping to make sure the signal is the same level as it would be coming from a guitar? Do you A/B between yourself plugged into the amp and the reamp plugged into the amp trying to mess with levels until the sound coming out of the speaker is as identical as possible?

Or on the other hand do you consider the DI signal coming from your interface to be it's own beast entirely and throw away the idea of matching the guitar and just try and get it to sound as best as possible, even if it means feeding the amp a signal that is way louder or quieter than it would be coming from the guitar?

Is there anyways to measure the RMS/peak levels of a guitar signal as it hits the amp input? Is it amplified somehow in some way before the preamp stage in the amp? I'd imagine it hits the input jack on the amp at the same level as the DI would hit your interface with the mic pre volume on zero would it not? I know we have these "peaking at -3dbish" guidelines and stuff for recording DIs but is there an actual way of measuring what the signal is exactly when it hits the amp so we can match it in our DAW when tracking the DIs? There's so many variables though I guess, like interface output level, reamp knob level, etc...

Sorry for the scientific thread, I'm just one of those guys who likes to quantify everything and put numbers, math and science to everything to get things "right" despite what my ears may think (I know I know, I'm in the wrong field... :lol:)

I got ya thinking about the pad, huh? :D I hear ya though, it's always nice to be sure about these things, but I figure it's easily determined by alternating between plugging your guitar into the input jack and then re-amping a signal through it, and as long as the amount of saturation is about the same (assuming your using distortion, of course), then you should be good! However, if you were to do any adjustment, I would think it'd be best to do it with the fader in the DAW (rather than the re-amp level out on the Redeye or the amp's gain knob, neither of which are particularly linear)

FWIW, though, I've always done what you describe in your second paragraph! (meaning, not giving a crap :lol: )

For level matching it's best to check on the clean channel as you actually have a volume difference there instead of a difference in saturation.
Just play something with the real guitar, then reamp something... as long as the volume difference isn't too big you're good to go and can then adjust to taste.

So far I couldn't find anything exciting in a level mismatch, it's either harsh and lacks punch (signal too low), or gets saggy (too high). But that's only my experience. :D

Record a DI through your DI Box/Interface Instrument In. Observe the level. Reamp that back into your Interface. Observe the level and calculate the difference. Adjust the DI Channel Output Fader to achieve a similar level. Or, if using an OD in front of the amp just bump it up a bit.

Record a DI through your DI Box/Interface Instrument In. Observe the level. Reamp that back into your Interface. Observe the level and calculate the difference. Adjust the DI Channel Output Fader to achieve a similar level. Or, if using an OD in front of the amp just bump it up a bit.

+1 This is what I was going to suggest. It can be a bitch getting those levels right. I just reamped a bunch of tracks (I leave and do something else so I don't have to listen a guitar blaring forever) and found that I didn't have the signal loud enough and that that certain parts sounded weak because the saturation just wasn't there.