Reamping issue

TomMartin

Jul 19, 2008
A google search yielded no answers on this particular problem for me, so forgive me if it is something that has already been covered before BUT....

I'm using the Saffire 56 audio interface. Line out 3 is connected to a radial x-amp via a balanced jack to XLR cable. Radial X-amp is connected to an amp (right now a 5150, but it does the same thing with all my amps).

The only signal being fed to line out 3, is currently instrument input channel 3, which I obviously have my guitar plugged into. I can mute this input as well, and the problem doesn't change.

THE PROBLEM :

This REALLY FUCKING ANNOYING high pitched noise whenever I start to approach an appropriate signal level running into my amp! It disappears if I turn the output level on the x-amp down, the level on my tube screamer down and the pre gain on the 5150 down, but this really is unacceptable on so many levels... I'm not talking about massive amounts of gain, the problem is there with the pre gain on 3, where I normally have it set, and turning the x amp and tube screamer down really does not drive the amp at all....

ANY ideas what could be causing this? I had the same issue with my previous audio interface too which was a shitty maudio 410. I presumed THAT was the problem, and it was so much worse, but it's obviously not solved everything by upgrading.

Things I have tried :

New cables
ground lifts
noise gate before amp (bit of a bullshit fix though really...)

Could it possibly be an issue with my PC and interface sharing the same power outlet?

Thanks.

Are your cables shielded? I recall having a similar problem and it took me forever to realize that one of my cables wasn't shielded. Swapping it out fixed er right up

Thanks for the help, but it's nothing I hadn't tried.

I just got home today, and tried plugging the saffire into a different outlet, this got rid of MOST of the noise. If I go straight into my amp from the x-amp, I get no noise at all, but if I go into my tube screamer, powered by a pedal power 2, the noise comes back. If I disconnect the TS from the pedal power, the nosie disappears again. Obviously the noise gets worse amplified when the pedal is turned on. If I had a 9v battery at hand I'd try that in the TS instead of plugging it into the pedal power, but I don't..... try a different outlet for the pedal power? This is frustrating...

But the pedal power doesn't make this noise when I plug guitar into pedals. So to recap

Guitar - pedals (powered by pedal power) - amp - FINE
Saffire (different outlet) - amp - FINE
Saffire (different outlet) - pedals (powered by pedal power - amp - NOT fine
Saffire (different outlet) - pedals (not powered) - amp - FINE
Saffire (original outlet) - pedals (now powered) - amp - NOT fine
Saffire (original outlet) - pedals (powered by pedal power) - amp - COMPLETE FUCK UP

Thanks for that, I'll keep that in mind!

I'm slowly getting somewhere, although rather blindly.

I put batteries in the pedals. No fucking luck. I checked the ground on my amps plug. It was fine. I put the plug back together and plugged it into a different outlet. There was a lot less noise. I replaced the batteries in the pedals with the pedal power 2 power supply. There was still a lot less noise. Now the noise level sort of oscilates, gradually getting better or worse...

I'm also having problems on the guitar to interface side now. Is there any benefit at all from going through a DI then into the interface, than just plugging my planet waves cable into the instrument input? It's picking up a lot of interferance from all the other things I have around me....

Ok here's something interesting!

When I have instrument in 3 routed to the output connected to the reamp box, if i tap the chassis of the saffire, with no cable plugged in to instrument in 3, the tapping noise gets reamped through my 5150 as a loud high poppy sound. If I do the same with instrument in 4, the same happens but a lot quieter. This doesnt happen if I go to mix control and change input 3 or 4 over to line or mic, just when using the instrument ins.

Do I have a faulty saffire?

Try re-amping just one track at a time, and back off on your gain. Especially if you are re-amping more than one track...the more tracks you have, the less gain you need. I just learned that myself. Dont know if this helps at all, or if this has anything to do with your particular issue...

Try re-amping just one track at a time, and back off on your gain. Especially if you are re-amping more than one track...the more tracks you have, the less gain you need. I just learned that myself. Dont know if this helps at all, or if this has anything to do with your particular issue...

lol perfectly good advice, however not relevant to my problem!

So following on, I plugged my guitar straight into the line in. MUCH less noise. The tone doesn't COMPLETELY sound like shit I suppose but it's not driving the amp properly. I'm guessing this is the impedance mismatching of my guitar to a line in. It kinda sounds like when you plug an sm57 into a really low impedance preamp, it's sound is wrong in a similar way.

Do the saffire instrument ins normally work like shit?

I have not read everything in every details so sorry if I'm repeating someone else's advice, but as a stage tech myself and working on sound systems everyday I'd say to try to plug all of your AC to the same power bar! I know you tried to ground lift your stuff but usualy on live gigs we get hum or buzz when for example.. the board is not on the same outlet as the PA so try to plug everything in the same power bar! it should help! if its still noisy.. try to ground lift that same power bar!

hope it will help!