I need help with reamping

Nightmarer

New Metal Member
Dec 22, 2015
Hi:
I'm trying to reamp my guitars already recorded out from my DAW to a reamp box and I'm not getting enough signal to make it sound as it should. If I plug the guitar directly to the amp I get another sound with more armonics and more low sound.
First I though it was because the reamp box, and I bought another one, but I having the same problem.
Here I list the steps to reamp I used.

From guitar to DAW:
-Passive Radial DI to my DAW (Yamaha 01x)
-Signal gained as high as possible
-24bits 44,1

From DAW to amp:
-Aux out (jack) to reamp (I tried both with Radial X-Amp and Palmer)
-From reamp to the amp.

Can you help me?

I've read complaints (specifically regarding a lack of volume) about the Radial DI and reamp boxes here on the forums from some users, and others praising them by different users who seem to really like them. Maybe try a different brand and see if it works any better for you.

For the initial capture, you'll generally want an active DI with around a 1 megaohm input impedance for passive guitars and basses, and most people will go with a passive DI for active pickups. You'll notice a big difference between the active vs. passive on passive pickups, though it doesn't make nearly as much difference in the case of active pickups. I have not tried active vs. passive reamp boxes, so I don't know if it makes as much difference on the reamp as it does on the initial capture, but I suspect it does not at that point. I suspect an impedance mismatch would have a much greater effect in that case.

The Little Labs Redeye 3D Phantom is good (I have this one) and offers active and passive DIs as well as the opportunity to adjust the volume on the reamp output. People also seem to really like the Palmer DI and reamp boxes.

are you sure your "mono" signal is not actually coming out in stereo? have you tried increasing the volume in the mixer?

From my experience DI box is not the one who is guilty if guitar sound fine using sims. My friend got radial reamp and also was complaining about lack of volume, so he ended up runing out of interface into mixing desk into radial reamp.
In same time I didn't give a damn and run without reamp box and got right volume and tone. I have profire 2626 and impedances matched enough.
I recently bought diy-re reamp box and I'm thinking to do shootout comparing it to radial's.

are you sure your "mono" signal is not actually coming out in stereo? have you tried increasing the volume in the mixer?
Hi. I have also bough Palmer Reamp. I use it mono, and also I tried to increase the level in the program, but the program has a limit before it starts to sound noisy.

I've read complaints (specifically regarding a lack of volume) about the Radial DI and reamp boxes here on the forums from some users, and others praising them by different users who seem to really like them. Maybe try a different brand and see if it works any better for you.

For the initial capture, you'll generally want an active DI with around a 1 megaohm input impedance for passive guitars and basses, and most people will go with a passive DI for active pickups. You'll notice a big difference between the active vs. passive on passive pickups, though it doesn't make nearly as much difference in the case of active pickups. I have not tried active vs. passive reamp boxes, so I don't know if it makes as much difference on the reamp as it does on the initial capture, but I suspect it does not at that point. I suspect an impedance mismatch would have a much greater effect in that case.

The Little Labs Redeye 3D Phantom is good (I have this one) and offers active and passive DIs as well as the opportunity to adjust the volume on the reamp output. People also seem to really like the Palmer DI and reamp boxes.
So it is good Idea to use a DI box between the reamp and the amp?

Well, anyway I'm doing my reamp with that lack of signal, I can fix it more or less providing more gain with the amp, but I'm really disappointed with reampboxes. Thank you everybody for your help.

Last edited:
I would ask the same thing as Ajax57. I'm having good results with my ProRMP (which is passive) - but using a balanced signal seems to be critical. (Especially no unbalanced to balanced shenanigans or even worse stereo-signal to balanced.) Maybe try a stereo-output and flip the phase of the right side, if you don't have balanced outs? :err:
Also I do oversample (even though it's analog and should make no difference in theory...). I'll convert my guitartracks to 88.2 (or even 176.4 kHz) bevor running the reamping. No difference in volume - but the highend seems just a bit smoother to me (and those clients I asked).

EDIT: Aaaand, it would also be interesting to compare your guitar signal to the recorded DI. I've had lots of trouble with bad DIs being used, especially if the signal was splitted. (Although I guess the Radial DI should be fine?)

You didn't specify your interface, but sometimes you are reducing the gain of all your outputs with a main volume knob. So even if the signal coming out of the DAW is hot enough, it's being trimmed by the interface volume knob or the control panel.