Reamping Vocals?

ArthurD

Jun 2, 2010
Brasília - Brazil
I've been lookin' for a while, but the only applicattions i found was to record distorted vocals from te DAW to an Guitar amp.

My question is: Is it possible to reamp the vocals to another Mic Preamp?

Yes it is possible, but why? You've already recorded the sound of your signal chain and the only reason I see for "re-amping" through another pre is maybe to get some distortion or other artifacts that you can't get from your original pre. The damage, so to speak, is already done on the original tracks.

But in the interest of trying out new things, go ahead! :) Might need a DI box to convert the line level coming from your DAW of choice for the mic pre input.

Good idea!

Is there anyone can offer help to test that method?
I'm curious with the result

maybe it can help a person that own shitty mic preamp (like me :D)

Good idea!

Is there anyone can offer help to test that method?
I'm curious with the result

maybe it can help a person that own shitty mic preamp (like me :D)

I don't think it can, because as Jussi said, the damage is already done. You HAVE to record to whatever Pre in order to have the vocal track, even if you re-amp it through a high end pre, the "loss" created by the shitty pre is already in the tracks

I agree 100% with Jussi, if it's for some effect or special coloration you could do it, but for the sake of getting a better quality out of a badly recorded track, I don't think there is any way to save that

Also note, that if you were to "re-amp" the vocals through a specific pre, you would not get any of the impedance interaction that would have happened if you'd just plugged the mic straight into that pre in the first place.
How much of that is really important is anyones guess, but i'm willing to wager that it is substantial enough to be audible.

Acctually that's not quite the point I mean...
I've recorded a vocal through a neve portico + neummann u87.
But i have a channel strip (Avalon 737sp) that has an awesome EQ, but the chain has a Preamp before.

I'll Try it and post some results here.

...you would not get any of the impedance interaction that would have happened if you'd just plugged the mic straight into that pre in the first place.

Impedance interaction would only occur with passive mics like dynamics, though. If you're using phantom-powered mic like condenser the preamp in the mic will buffer the dynamic impedance of the voice coil from interacting with the separate preamp anyway.