Reamping vs guitar-amp-mic (old way)

Jevil

Pro Evolution Fucker
Apr 18, 2006
Basque Country
www.soulitude-web.com
I'm noob at reamping. 2 or 3 times I've tried reamping at a friend's studio but the tone I get is more lifeless, dull, boomy, and more noisy.

I've found that classic way sounds better (guitar-amp-mic-daw/tape), as we did in the past, so I'm trying to find where the problem is.

- The reamp Box? It is a radial RMPPro modded. Cheapest.
- Too many metres of cable in the studio?
- The fact of recording from analog to digital (DI tracking), and the converting to analogue again to finally reconvert to digital?
- Any other issue?

Do you notice tone diferences between guitar right into amp or reamping mehtod?

Sorry, I can't post any clip.:confused:

Please be a bit more specific about your chain.

DI RECORDING (Home)
Schecter > M-Audio Profire > DAW
REAMPING (Studio)
DAW > Creamware Pulsar 2 > Radial RMPPro > Engl Savage

At this stage the Savage doesn't sound as good as a guitar right in, so the rest of the chain is not important but anyway, SM57 > Presonus Preamp > Creamware Pulsar 2 > DAW

I wondered about this once before myself so I put a mic in front of my cab and mic'd up the playing. Immediately reamped same DI. Aligned, and it almost completely nulled. It didn't completely but it was so negligible it was crazy. I figured it would have to be more but it wasn't.

I would recommend doing what I did to see exactly what you're losing or gaining by reamping.

I should add I like my Reamp 2 way better than my old Radial X-Amp.

Do you use the Hi-Z input on your Profire? And not a good Di Box like Countryman Type 85? ... most normal Hi-Z inputs on non hi-end interfaces makes the DI track duller and loses low end.

Do you use the Hi-Z input on your Profire? And not a good Di Box like Countryman Type 85? ... most normal Hi-Z inputs on non hi-end interfaces makes the DI track duller and loses low end.

No choice between Hi-Z or not. It is supposed to be built for instrument impedance. As soon as I got it I sent it to a couple of reampers in the forum to test the signal and they said it was good... so i guess it is not the profire.

I had a same issue with my x-amp the first times I used it. I found that I had to push up the output level way beyond the manual actually says. Then the gain and the sound at the amp were the same as the guitar plugged directly into the amp. Just try it if you didn't yet.
Off topic - I have to say I highly prefer recording guitars in the 'classic way' when it's possible.

With the ProRMP you need to make sure the level knob on it is all the way up, always.

Also, I have tried DI's through my ProFire2626's instrument in and my Countryman... the Countryman was way better. But that's not to say the 2626 was terrible or anything.

If you can afford some experimentation with different gear then the Littlelabs Redeye 3d Phantom allows you to monitor your DI signal right through the chain so you can tell if you are losing output. See the side panel quote on this:

http://www.littlelabs.com/redeye.html

Sounds like the level out of the box as others have said.

Recording a DI even if you are recording the "classic way" is incredibly useful for editing!