Reamping: How to get the amp to react like it's seeing a guitar?

why not use the Redeye as intended...

you can drive the amp and capture the DI (mic level) at the same time?
It can't do that because both functions share the same transformer. It's one or the either, switchable on the front of the unit.
Maybe I don't understand what you're trying to do... are you wanting to take a Gtr DI and drive the amp at the same time?

if so

Plug Gtr into Instrument In on the Front

Run cable from back of Redeye Instrument Thru to amp or pedals

Run Mic cable from Mic Level Out to Board

Set Redeye for DI

Maybe I don't understand what you're trying to do... are you wanting to take a Gtr DI and drive the amp at the same time?

"I haven't been satisfied with distorted guitars. When I plug the guitar into the head, it sounds better and requires less gain to sound heavy and distorted. But when I use the RedEye recording tool on full volume, it isn't as loud or as distorted as the guitar itself. I can't get the reamp'd tracks to sound as mean with the DI tracks as when the guitar is plugged in directly. I have had lots of great recording tones with the guitar plugged into a head, and the cab in another room of the studio, tracking it traditionally."

I don't know how to make the level the amp is seeing from the RedEye match the level I get from plugging the guitar in directly.

If the Redeye is setup correctly to DI, then the level issue is in a gain stage elsewhere.

to find the problem, set up to DI correctly and trace through your gain stages to find the problem.

That's the thing. I don't know if it IS a problem, or if it inherent in the design of PASSIVE reamp devices that they will output a lower level than a guitar with active EMG pickups in it.

I have an EMG 81 in my ESP Horizon and use a passive reamp (ProRMP) with no issues now (after solving the panning law problem mentioned above). Theres a few others on this board with the Little Labs as well, so there's bound to be a few using EMG's with it and that problem hasn't been mentioned on the countless other "reamp" threads on here.

I would suggest that the issue lies within the setup of the 003 or Pro Tools. It took me a while to iron out the creases in my signal chain and getting it working, but there's now no distinct difference between plugging the guitar in directly to the amp and the reamp box. Keep plugging away dude :)....I would suggest dropping the folks at Little Labs an email as well. Worth a shot.

I have an EMG 81 in my ESP Horizon and use a passive reamp (ProRMP) with no issues now (after solving the panning law problem mentioned above). Theres a few others on this board with the Little Labs as well, so there's bound to be a few using EMG's with it and that problem hasn't been mentioned on the countless other "reamp" threads on here.

I would suggest that the issue lies within the setup of the 003 or Pro Tools. It took me a while to iron out the creases in my signal chain and getting it working, but there's now no distinct difference between plugging the guitar in directly to the amp and the reamp box. Keep plugging away dude :)....I would suggest dropping the folks at Little Labs an email as well. Worth a shot.

Thanks for the input! I figured it out and boy I feel stupid.

The solution is in the next post. Prepare to flame me. :lol:

I checked the pad switch... and it was in. The pad was in. :rolleyes:

With the pad out, it provides plenty of volume, more than the Emgs themselves! :heh:

Thanks to everybody who tried to help. I know its fuckin lame I didn't try the pad before. I thought to, but then thought no it shouldnt be in, i havent pushed it in. I should have done that to begin with! I'm an idiot! But I play metal for fuck's sake, what do you expect?! :kickass:

In the documentation for the Redeye, it states the pad is for line level signals (which is what a gtr DI is) but that doesn't take into account the volume of Emgs. The pad is waaaaaaaay in there. :err:

Also, I tried going directly into PT and monitoring back out thru the reamp into the amp (so I can hear what the reamp'd track will sound like) and it works great with no latency at all! Thank you for that idea Mutant! :headbang:

Shit yeah! Thanks everybody!

BOO! :lol:

I don't even have a reamp box or a decent amp to reamp with but i was still for some reason following this drama and expected a better outcome.

A severed fingertip in the circuits or something.

good...

FYI... with proper gain staging, reamping should not provide additional level. also PUP output level should not be an issue. guitar output levels are not line levels as gtr output levels are much lower.

Well the thing is the pad switch is actually completely INSIDE the unit. It's invisible as much as you want to look at it. It's halfway to the back!

I also mistakenly assumed the pad was only for the DI. They ain't no instrukshun bookz wif it.

I can match the level of the guitar with the re-amp level on the Redeye. It works great. I gotta go, there's a lot of work to do!

awesome man, i tried out my redeye the other day with the same issue.
so your sayin just take out the pad and all is well?

awesome man, i tried out my redeye the other day with the same issue.
so your sayin just take out the pad and all is well?

Yeah dude. I just used a toothpick. The pad switch is actually pretty big. I opened it up to have a look after I had already sussed it out. You don't need to open it up though. A toothpick or a small screwdriver will work. You'll know when you've got it.