reamping with a alesis io26

SoClose

Oct 10, 2007
i have some DI guitar tracks that were recorded through the alesis io26.
im wondering if anyone here would have experience reamping with the alesis io26.
my computer is plugged into a monster power conditioner
my interface is plugged into a separate power strip non conditioned. but i have also tried plugging it into the conditioned one the computer is plugged into with no change.
my amp and pedal setup are plugged into a separate outlet and also run through a furman power conditioner.

i am experiencing what i think is ground looping noise on palm mutes etc....
my output has been changed to -10 in the hdm control panel but on either impedance one it still produces this noise.
im running the output from the back of the alesis output7 or 8 to the amp.
so my ultimate question is am i left having to buy a reamping device such as the redeye to kill this noise?
thanks for any help.

Aren't the outputs balanced? So you are trying to run a balanced output into an unbalanced input?(the amp?) I think you might run into some issues there....

Aren't the outputs balanced? So you are trying to run a balanced output into an unbalanced input?(the amp?) I think you might run into some issues there....

I think the bigger issue might be running a Line-Level output into an Instrument Level Input. Had a quick look on the Alesis website and saw this for Outputs:

[outputs]
_8 line-level outputs
_2 discrete stereo headphone outputs
_Stereo S/PDIF digital output

No mention of Instrument Level Outputs.

I think the bigger issue might be running a Line-Level output into an Instrument Level Input. Had a quick look on the Alesis website and saw this for Outputs:

[outputs]
_8 line-level outputs
_2 discrete stereo headphone outputs
_Stereo S/PDIF digital output

No mention of Instrument Level Outputs.

he had said it was switched to -10, which is instrument level.... But a reamp device also switches the signal back to a higher impedance level like a guitar pickup, which I highly doubt the alesis does.

Tried reamping with my cheap mic pre (Art Tube MP Studio) worked comparable to Radial ProRMP except it has more noise than radial.
But maybe this happens due to lack of ground lift (in my case). As for specification it has 50 kOhm at unbalanced output jack like ProRMP.
So reamp box has less noise. Direct connection between soundcard out and amp input gives more noise even compared to Tube MP.

I have the I/O 14 which is the same soundcard but with less ins and outs. For me it's working great. You will not benefit from a DI-box, unless it has a ground lift, which might help you with your problem. The HI-Z inputs on the I/O 14/26 have 1 meg ohm impedance (like an amp), so if you are buying a DI-box for that reason....don't. One more thing that can effect noise is what computer screen you have. I have an LCD and there is no noise. Try turning the screen off and see what happens.

The problem doesn't lie in how he recorded the di tracks but how he's trying to feed them to the amp: interface outputs are low impedance and amp inputs are high impedance.