Gizmos to solve my ground loop woes...

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
So in my efforts to create impulses these past couple of weeks (as well as the occasional re-amp), I've discovered that I have some wicked ground loop issues going on. Between my external hard drive, my laptop, my Onyx Satellite, and my amp, I get a killer static-y buzzing that no ground lift switch (on my amp or Redeye) can banish.

Now interestingly enough, it goes away when I unplug my laptop and run it on battery power, but that's not something I wanna have to live with for obvious reasons! And even with the ground loop noise gone, whenever my external hard drive is on, all of its noises come through my amp as well; we're talking the periodic clicks when it's writing data (very annoying when reamping, cuz it ALWAYS happens), as well as the occasional thrumming for a minute or to every now and again. I assume this issue is coming through the power and not RF stuff picked up by my amp, cuz moving it away doesn't help. So basically, the only way I can reamp without any noise is to have my laptop running on battery power and record to the system drive with my external shut off (granted, my system drive is 7200 RPM, but still). And I have everything plugged into a Furman PL-8 II Power Conditioner, btw, which clearly isn't helping.

SO - what should I get to rid myself of this evil? I've narrowed it down to these:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HumX/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HumXLR/

I'm inclined to go with the HumX, because I'd rather not have to run my signal through anything else if I don't have to, but would it be safe to plug my amp into the HumX and then into the wall? (in terms of power/current draw, I mean). Or would it be better to plug my power conditioner into the HumX? Basically, why wouldn't I wanna get that, and not have to run my signal for reamping through a box before it hits my Redeye?

try adifferent power supplys...i had all kinds of noise probs with my firepod.. a few years ago...
replacing the power supply to an upgrade fixed it... adding another thing to the chain is not the correct way to combat noise... start at the problem and work from there.... an iso box will help drastically with the noise floor.. put the noisy pieces in the box....

I use an older version of that Hum Eliminator. It's just basically isolating transformers. But, my use is a little different than yours. If I'm running (well, past tense...before I got the digi002rack) anything into my computer's sound card, I'd get massive 60 cycle hum. I still do on occasion, when doing some weird signal routing. Using this thing always takes care of the problem for me. But, I've always dealt with line level signals...never low leverl guitar or microphone signals. So, take this with a grain of salt.

Could also be that your houses electricity sockets aren't grounded ??

Hell if I know, all the plugs have three prongs, that's about the best I can tell ya! If they weren't grounded though, wouldn't I have noise in many other circumstances besides this particular loop instance?

And Seditz, how/where would I find a better power supply for my Onyx? Cuz I doubt I could upgrade the ones for my laptop/hard drive too easily, and forget about it for my JSX, cuz I'm selling it soon anyway! And while in theory I agree that taking care of the problem of the source is the best way to do it, wouldn't that be what the Hum-X is doing? Honestly, what reason would there be not to use it if it solves the problem?

I use an older version of that Hum Eliminator. It's just basically isolating transformers. But, my use is a little different than yours. If I'm running (well, past tense...before I got the digi002rack) anything into my computer's sound card, I'd get massive 60 cycle hum. I still do on occasion, when doing some weird signal routing. Using this thing always takes care of the problem for me. But, I've always dealt with line level signals...never low leverl guitar or microphone signals. So, take this with a grain of salt.

Hmm, well that's encouraging to hear - can you think of any reason to use the hum eliminator over the Hum-X though? Unless of course there would be a circumstance where it would work and the Hum-X wouldn't, naturally :)

This is what I have.

It's basically the same as you have listed, except it doesn't have XLR connections. The Hum-X will work on the 110 line voltage. The Hum Eliminator just uses isolation transformers to phyically de-couple the two devices you're connecting. But, since it's using transformers, there will always be some signal degradation. But I've used mine for years and have never had a complaint about it.

Hell if I know, all the plugs have three prongs, that's about the best I can tell ya! If they weren't grounded though, wouldn't I have noise in many other circumstances besides this particular loop instance?

And Seditz, how/where would I find a better power supply for my Onyx? Cuz I doubt I could upgrade the ones for my laptop/hard drive too easily, and forget about it for my JSX, cuz I'm selling it soon anyway! And while in theory I agree that taking care of the problem of the source is the best way to do it, wouldn't that be what the Hum-X is doing? Honestly, what reason would there be not to use it if it solves the problem?

i just did a search on the specifics on the power supply... looking at the signal to noise ratio. i was able to find one with basically no noise floor what so ever...reduced the 60 cycle hum dramatically for like 30 dollars..

i imagine it would be the same with the onyx..these consumer electronics come with eh cheapest power supply possible to prevent the costs from rising...

Hmm, sounds intriguing - when you say "specifics of the power supply," do you mean the stuff printed on the wall wart? (in my case, "Class 2 Power Units / Input 120V/60Hz / Output DC12V - 1000mA") And since it has a wall wart, is that the power supply, or is it still internal?

I went ahead and ordered a Hum X, by the way - might as well, I'm sure it'll be good to have!

Hmm, sounds intriguing - when you say "specifics of the power supply," do you mean the stuff printed on the wall wart? (in my case, "Class 2 Power Units / Input 120V/60Hz / Output DC12V - 1000mA") And since it has a wall wart, is that the power supply,!

yes that's it typical 12 v power supply

If you get one of those 3pin to 2 pin adapters and then use that with your laptop it will stop that problem, they're really cheap and do the job perfectly as they don't have the ground anymore. Works a treat for a dj friend of mine.

Now interestingly enough, it goes away when I unplug my laptop and run it on battery power, but that's not something I wanna have to live with for obvious reasons!

As far as your laptop goes, you need one of these:

http://www.ebtechaudio.com/humxdes.html

I had the same problem with my laptop and this cleared it right up. You can also use a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter as mentioned above, but this isn't a very safe option as it removes the ground. (since these are so cheap maybe you could try one to see if it clears up your problem before you buy the Hum X)

Thanks Yarrick, but...

SO - what should I get to rid myself of this evil? I've narrowed it down to these:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HumX/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HumXLR/

I'm inclined to go with the HumX...

And while in theory I agree that taking care of the problem of the source is the best way to do it, wouldn't that be what the Hum-X is doing? Honestly, what reason would there be not to use it if it solves the problem?

Hmm, well that's encouraging to hear - can you think of any reason to use the hum eliminator over the Hum-X though?

I went ahead and ordered a Hum X, by the way - might as well, I'm sure it'll be good to have!

As far as your laptop goes, you need one of these:

http://www.ebtechaudio.com/humxdes.html

I had the same problem with my laptop and this cleared it right up. You can also use a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter as mentioned above, but this isn't a very safe option as it removes the ground. (since these are so cheap maybe you could try one to see if it clears up your problem before you buy the Hum X)

;)

FUCK YES!! The Hum-X works! Without it, the ground loop noise comes through like always - but when I put it at the end of the amp's power cable and then plug 'em into the wall, problem 100% solved! Thanks Ebtech!