reamping problem, redeye 3D faulty?

Hey guys, my first post on here and just a problem... I'm reading here for a long, long but did not write anything because of my bad english grammar :)
I've got the same problem on here but can't fix it with all the help and hints. I've got a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 (which has max +12 dBu at it's outputs) along with the Radial X-Amp. The sound by itself is ok, no hum, hiss or freq missing. Just undergained. I think I've tried so much... The outputs are set to "grey" mode (makes no difference in gain, than set to the maximum with the knob), balanced cables in use, I'm sure everything is mono and/or panned correct and if I go a little tick higher with the track coming from the DAW or with the output fader on the interface it's instantly clipping. X-Amp output is set to maximum, never saw the clipping LED on the X-Amp do anything...
Has the Scarlett got enough level at the output for driving the X-Amp correct? Am I missing something, I won't exclude, that the problem sits behind the monitor. ;)

The outputs are set to "grey" mode (makes no difference in gain, than set to the maximum with the knob)

Making the outputs grey, and setting the monitor knob to max is supposed to give the same result, so that's good. The grey outputs are just used so you don't have to crank your monitors to max.

I haven't tried this tip myself, because it's working fine for me now, but did you try setting both output 3 and 4 to grey + both to DAW 3 as output, and then reamping through DAW 3/Output 3?

Cheers,
Carl.

Making the outputs grey, and setting the monitor knob to max is supposed to give the same result, so that's good. The grey outputs are just used so you don't have to crank your monitors to max.
I haven't tried this tip myself, because it's working fine for me now, but did you try setting both output 3 and 4 to grey + both to DAW 3 as output, and then reamping through DAW 3/Output 3? Cheers, Carl.

Hi Carl, thank you for this on... No, I think I missed this routing option. I will give it a try later on today. Do I have to pan DAW 3 hard to the output side? Ok it's easy to try if it makes any difference. :)
I will also get my hands on a redeye 3D on thursday to check if it does anything else. If I'll don't get any difference with it I borrow a fireface uc and if this doesn't work I'll bang my head against the wall and give all my money to someone professionall. (are there reamping flatrates out there :D)

Hi.

No, you should simply have your DI on a mono track in your DAW, not panned. In the Focusrite mixer, just leave all the levers on 0, and not panned.
From what I understood, the TRS outputs are made for stereo, and will bleed some to each other, and that might make a difference in signal level. I'm not 100% sure though.

The Redeye 3D have a button called Re-Amp Overdrive which boost the signal 10dB. It makes a huge difference, so if there actually is a problem with your interface not giving enough output, that might be a solution for you (or a new interface of course). I don't need to use it at the moment, but before I figured out how to solve my problem, I tried it, and it sure did give a boost.

Good luck trying it out.

Cheers,
Carl.

Yup, I think Calle is spot-on, cuz the original Redeye is notorious for its absolutely retarded pad that comes enabled from the factory, and for which the toggle button is halfway down the (very long) chassis and only accessible through a pinhole - I found it easier to just remove the two screws on the back, slide the chassis out, and disable the pad that way, which made a huge difference in my signal - I wouldn't be surprised if the 3D has something similar!

It doesn't. But what it does have, is a "switch" to change between -6dB, 0dB and +3dB. It's coming with 0dB default, so you could get +3dB if you open the chassi and follow the manual and solder it, but it's just to much of a hassle for such a small boost. The 3D already has a +10dB switch at the front.

Cheers,
Carl.

Hey,
I've tried Carls advice but sadly it leads to the exact same result and amount of gain back to the X-Amp like in my other tryouts. Also tried every single output again with about 3 dozen routings. :) On these Focusrite interfaces you can do the same stuff with three or four different buttons, menus or routing options it's a little bit confusing... If I had to make a guess, I would say, there are about 3-6db missing. I can get very close by pushing the output into clipping which sounds awful. I'm thankful for every idea you have... hope to get the redeye soon to check it out...

Ok, my redeye 3D arrived, and it's much better to work with, because it has this "reamp overdrive" button :) I was never been so close. But I think, that there is still something wrong with me, my routing or the interface does not provide enough output. I have to dial in the complete reamp level knob, push the reamp overdrive and drive my preamp hard. If I hit the string very very hard, so hard I would never do this, I can get the preamp into clipping. That's ok, I can definitely work with that, because I can get the right amount of gain back to the amp.
What do you think? Take a look at a new interface in the near future? I need something small (2 mic pres are enough for me) for reamping and working at home, the problem is, I need enough outputs for reamping and monitoring the sound. I've got a Firestudio based solution for drums in my recording room, but I can't use it for reamping, the outputs are terribly hissing. Always thought about buying a RME Fireface UC but it has too much features than I need. I've tested the MOTU Audio Express before buying the Scarlett and it was crap. Strange software issues and so on.

I've made a little reamp with Lasse and Magos DI pack. It's not dialed in, wrong speaker, no real mic position, just for getting some results with good DIs.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12485269/tiny_terror_test/lasse_mago_reamped_tt.mp3