Redeye Users

Melodeath

Moonbow
Feb 6, 2004
Northern VA
I've noticed that I can't seem to get the same level out of my Little Labs Redeye as the level that comes out of my pickups directly into the amp. In other words, guitar straight into amp is more saturated than a DI being reamped. DI is hot, but not clipping. I have the pad disengaged, and the reamp volume knob all the way up. Of course, I can use a limiter on my DI tracks to bring the level up, but I'd rather not do that if at all possible.

Has anyone found a solution? I am usually using a Duncan JB (passive pickup)

I am talking about the original, passive Little Labs Redeye, not thew newer, active, 3D version.

I have the newer version, so this might not help, but I have the reamp volume knob on mine all the way up as well. This seems to be a common problem with the Redeye. Even with recording my DIs at around -3db, when reamping I find the difference to be still way lower than plugging directly into an amp. I use an Axe-Fx II, so I'm lucky enough that I can turn the input gain up on it until I tickle the red lights on the Axe. With a real physical amp, I don't know what I'd do. Probably sell it.

Might be barking up the wrong tree here but could it be since he's using a passive pickup with a passive DI? My Redeye always seemed ok with my EMG's.

Might be barking up the wrong tree here but could it be since he's using a passive pickup with a passive DI? My Redeye always seemed ok with my EMG's.
This would not affect the re-amping, which is his problem.

I'm not using the Redeye DI. Only the reamp section. I use the instrument input on my Focusrite for DIs

To be clear, the Redeye works fine, and sounds good. The issue is simply that its output volume is quieter than my guitar. You probably wouldn't even notice unless you specifically tested it, which I have in the past, bc I wanted to know the correct settings to get the reamp volume exactly the same as my guitar

I decided to test it yet again, and now bizarrely, the Redeye level is actually more than my guitar direct into the amp. This is a good thing, but I wonder why last time I tested this I came to the opposite conclusion...

Also, I can confirm the passive Redeye DI is not so good for passive pickups. Big roll-off in the high end compared to using Focusrite Instrument In, but this was expected. Redeye is about 30kOhm, and from what I understand, works just by reversing the DI.

Also the Redeye adds a little bit of noise when reamping, which I always suspected, but never directly tested until now

It's well known that the original redeye wasn't great for passive pickups as a DI. There was a whole shootout with that and a countryman a while back. I use the shit out of my redeye 3d. The active input (for use with passive pickups) improved a ton.

The reamp level is going to depend on how hot you've set the preamp on your interface. My Redeye 3d has a button for DI/Reamp mode, so if you know you're going to be reamping, you can set it up for both, and switch between the two modes to see exactly how different your reamped signal is from the guitar only. Adjust the preamp accordingly, and you shouldn't notice much of a difference at all.

It's well known that the original redeye wasn't great for passive pickups as a DI. There was a whole shootout with that and a countryman a while back. I use the shit out of my redeye 3d. The active input (for use with passive pickups) improved a ton.

The reamp level is going to depend on how hot you've set the preamp on your interface. My Redeye 3d has a button for DI/Reamp mode, so if you know you're going to be reamping, you can set it up for both, and switch between the two modes to see exactly how different your reamped signal is from the guitar only. Adjust the preamp accordingly, and you shouldn't notice much of a difference at all.

Yeah, I remember that shootout, and have wanted a Countryman 85 ever since. I just use the Instrument In on my Focusrite instead, though. Again, I don't use my Redeye Passive DI. I only use it for reamps. The Redeye 3D seems great

Input levels and output levels can be very different in levels, while some reamp-box can work perfectly with particular interface, results can be worse with interface wit low output levels. Basically reamper should have some amplification abilities to adopt to output level of particular interface, which somewhat not possible for passive reampers with 1 to 1 transformers.

Input levels and output levels can be very different in levels, while some reamp-box can work perfectly with particular interface, results can be worse with interface wit low output levels. Basically reamper should have some amplification abilities to adopt to output level of particular interface, which somewhat not possible for passive reampers with 1 to 1 transformers.

That's why the redeye has a reamp overdrive circuit. I love my redeye 3d, never had a problem getting it to work properly

That's why the redeye has a reamp overdrive circuit. I love my redeye 3d, never had a problem getting it to work properly

See, all this time I was an idiot and thought that the "overdrive" button worked like an overdrive pedal of some sort. One thing that also lead me to believe this was something Jonathan Little said: "Metal-heads will love this." Anyway, I just figured that I'd give it a shot before selling it and I'm glad I did. It basically just boost the signal by 10 db. It adds no coloration or noise either. I'm very happy now.

Now if only my DIs could sound like Ola's. :bah:

Yea make sure you read the manual thoroughly. And I have a feeling Ola's DI's sound like that because, well, he's Ola. Proper technique, new strings and a great guitar setup will get you far in that regard.