Reamp not working?!?!

Apr 30, 2006
:erk: My little labs redeye doesn’t seem to want to work. I am running a DI track recorded with a Toneport DI-G out of my Saffire pro 26io output 3 as a mono track mono output in Cubase. I am running a balanced TRS to XLR female into the line in on the back of the redeye. The reamp/DI button is pushed in. I am then running a guitar cable from the reamp out back into the Toneport DI-G which is running into a line input on preamp 8 of my Saffire (not using a real amp at the moment as I just want to test the signal). There seems to be nothing coming out of my redeye, there was ground hum but pushing the lift button remedied this. Also when I push the reamp/DI button out (just in case I had it the wrong way around) there is a screaming feedback. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

That sounds just like the problems I had when I started with the Redeye. Except that you already use the method that was the fix for my error (Interface output -> stereo-TRS to XLR -> mic cable -> Redeye XLR Line level in).

Check out that:

1) you have routed the reamp out correctly in your DAW
2) the reamp level knob is sufficiently high (try turning it up & down, to see if there's any pot flaws)
3) see that the DI track is not muted or the track volume is not all the way down (peaks should hit around -6 dB)

You want the Reamp/DI switch out for reamping, but I'm not sure where the feedback is coming from.

If you have any kind of real amp or pod, plug into that just to see if you're getting a DI signal at that point in the chain.

Right Iv'e got something working now, but it needs tweaking. It was to do with the input mix control on the saffire pro software.

Ha, sorted. Works perfect now, although I am personally sick of reamp boxes that are supplied with nada instructions. Cheers for the help guys, much appreciated. Any recommendations about setting up the reamp box to record in DI mode, in regards to gain etc? I’m sure I read somewhere that the preamps on the Saffire don’t start at 0dB.

Yeah...get use to reamps not having sufficient, or just completely nonexistent, instructions. It seems that the manufacturers expect everyone to just KNOW how theirs works.

~006

Ha, sorted. Works perfect now, although I am personally sick of reamp boxes that are supplied with nada instructions. Cheers for the help guys, much appreciated. Any recommendations about setting up the reamp box to record in DI mode, in regards to gain etc? I’m sure I read somewhere that the preamps on the Saffire don’t start at 0dB.

The Saffire inputs work as follow....
Mic: 8 x XLR on front panel
Mic Gain: +13dB to + 60dB
Line 1-8: 2 x 1/4" TRS Jack (front panel)
Line 1-8 Gain: -10dB to +36dB
Instrument: As above, switched to Instrument (inputs 1 & 2 only)
Instrument Gain: +13dB to +60dB

So if you plug into a line input your gain range will be lower, but you should be okay going into an instrument input I'd imagine... You usually have to raise the level on a DI to get the right signal strength anyways.

I was planning on tracking with the toneport (noise reasons) and using a mic pre to record the DI. I think I also read somewhere that the DI signal on the redeye needs 17dB's of boost. So looking at the figures you've given me the mic pre should be fine.

The Redeye has a balanced output, so if you're using the XLR output on the back you would want to use a mic preamp after that to bring up the level.

If you're using the Instrument Thru 1/4" output on the back you would want to use either the Instrument input on your interface or the instrument input on your Toneport or amp.