Redeye finally arrive....some problems (Metaltastic help me)

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
Hi
Today the Redeye is arrived. I tried to do a DI and all was ok.
Unfortunally I don't have a fuckin' trs-xlr female cable at the momento to try the reamp....but I tried to connect my soundcard out into the external in...
The results were very bad. The level on the cab was very low (using the settings I usually use when I play my guitar) and dry, it was not distorted at all, only a little crunchier than the DI.
I don't know what's the problem...probably the external in doesn't work because I used an unbalanced mono cable instead a balanced stereo cable..
The DI was recorded at right levels and I try the metaltastic's di's also.
The Reamp level was maxed.

Metaltastic...any advice? ;)

Thanks

Pad button dude! It's almost impossible to get at it through the little hole in the front cuz the pad is literally like in the middle of the unit (length-wise), so I'd recommend just opening it up and disengaging the switch. This is the classic problem with the Redeye, and you don't have to worry about adding too much gain or anything, since it's a passive unit, so disengaging the pad just restores it to how it should be!

Yeah, I'm not sure how the routing works with the external in, that's meant for daisy chaining Redeyes - ideally you should use the XLR in for re-amping, so get yourself a TRS-XLR cable, chop chop! :) (or get an XLR-XLR cable and an XLR-TRS adapter plug)

Yeah...I'll buy it saturday.
About the pad...the manual says: "Pad is an internal switch...bla bla bla...to select the reamp in pad for +4dBm line level sources (pad in) default. Pad outwill give you an extra 6dB of gain if needed wich would be rare."

So the pad is +4dB by default and if I push the switch it give me 6db...right? And if I push another time it returns to the default setting?

In general the shorter the better (NOT what she said hardie har har), but since it's a line-level low impedance signal that's being transmitted, it doesn't matter too much. More importantly, though, the cable coming from the re-amp unit should be as short as possible, since that's the low-level, high impedance signal going to the guitar amp (or ideally the TS) - in my situation, I use a 10 ft. TRS-XLR cable to the Redeye, which I set on top of my amp - then I use a 1 ft. inst. cable from the Redeye to my TS7, and a 2 ft. cable from the TS7 to the amp input

Yeah...I'll buy it saturday.
About the pad...the manual says: "Pad is an internal switch...bla bla bla...to select the reamp in pad for +4dBm line level sources (pad in) default. Pad outwill give you an extra 6dB of gain if needed wich would be rare."

So the pad is +4dB by default and if I push the switch it give me 6db...right? And if I push another time it returns to the default setting?

Yup! Or to put it another way, there are two options: pad out - normal; pad in - like 10 dB less (in other words, pointless, that's what the re-amp level knob is for... those assholes :Smug: )

I've tried the pad. It give much more volume but the sounds still lacks in gain, also with the amp gain maxed.
I think it's the external in that's not builded for this purpose but only for sidechaining other device.
If you can, try to use a normal trs plugged in the external in instead of the reamp in. If you will have the same problem.....

Also, try panning the track with the DI signal either hard left or hard right, see if it makes a difference!

I've already tried to pan. It's the same to route the signal in the mono output selected. Nothing change.
Now I have my amp with pre at 1 and master maxed. With my guitar plugged, my chair rumble very much, as my window's glasses... if I plug the redeye it's like listening the amp at chamber practicing level...
And I'm testing the levels with your DI tracks

Well I would hold off on any conclusive jugdement until you get a TRS-XLR cable, but also, what sound card are you using, and what are the outputs?

M-Audio profire 2626 and protools 8. I use output 3 (of 8) because 1 and 2 are the monitor out's. From protools I route the output to out3 (mono....but I can also route it to out3-4 stereo and pan the signal hard left, same thing) and from here to the redeye's external in -> reamp out -> amp.
I hope it's a cable problem...

Yup, sounds like everything is as it should be (and yeah, mono output 3 is the better option), so get yourself that cable and let's see what happens! (and I assume you have the pad off and the level knob maxed)

Anyway I don't know if the problem could be the cable...
It should be the cable if the inputs have different levels (external in < line level in).. if they have the same level, could an xlr cable give more volume than a simple trs mono cable?

p.s.
What the fuck....but they couldn't put a simple neutrik xlr male in the redeye? I can find only trs->xlr female cables or xlr male - xlr female.... horrible choice by littlelabs

Not really dude, all re-amp boxes have an XLR-female input (trust me, I tested 'em ;)) - just make your own cable, that's what I did!

Hey Xes, sorry to hijack, but where did you get it from? I live in Greece and I can't find it on any european musicstore argh!