Countryman Type 85 DI vs LL redeye 3D Phantom

DJerry

New Metal Member
Mar 27, 2012
Braunschweig
Hey Guys,
I have a question concerning tracking DI´s.

I´ve done this so far with a LL redeye 3D phantom. I mostly record guitars with passive PU´s, so I´m using the active front input of the redeye.

My question is, who has already compared the active DI input of the redeye, with the Countryman Type 85 with passive pickup equipped guitars and can tell me, if there´s a noticeable quality change between these 2?

I know, there´s a huge difference with the old (passive) redeye, I just have he impression, the redeye cuts some lows/low-mids and thus gives a quite mid-heavy sounding DI-track, that lacks some "tone".

Thank you in advance, cheers from germany!!!

There will difference just due to input impedances, Type 85 has 10 MOhm, while rest of others have 1 MOhm or even less (don`t remember 3D phantom specifications... if such exists).
As of quality... it should be matter of personal preferences, just have in mind that standard tube amp has 1 MOhm, so...
Also check input level specifications of Type 85 - it has relatively low level and significant distortion (THD) even at less than half of maximal level.

Hi deLuther,
Thank you for the explanation. You´re right, the Redeye 3D has about 1 MOhm input impedance. When I connect my guitar straight into my amp (Diezel VH4) it´s a bit more "raw" and has a little more low-end compared to connecting with the redeye (using just the thru of the Redeye).

I have the old redeye and when using the thru out there is nothing done to the signal. The signal is directly routed to the output phonejack. I would guess its the same with the 3D but dont know what the active input does regarding the thru out..
When we talk about input impedance..does someone know the ouput impedance of the redeye?

Sound through active circuit always will be slightly different than direct into amp, due to filtering, first tube stage usually interact with passive pickups increasing distortions, active circuit between pickup and amp reduces such interaction significantly.