Countryman vs. Little Labs

kvoid

May 27, 2008
Alright so obviously I WTB a DI box. I really like what I see with the Redeye 3D Phantom (active/passive/reamp). Seems it could come in handy live as well with some crazy PC-as-FX unit setups. Any reason the much adored Countryman Type 85 has an advantage (assuming price is not an issue)?

Anybody have experience with the Klark teknik DN100 as well? We have a ton of those in the warehouse and they sound/perform great IME.

They are both great, but I would go with the Redeye if you don't already have a reamp device. If you already had a reamp box, then I would say grab the countryman to avoid buying the same stuff twice.

i have both...the DI on the Redeye is great!, and also the re amp feature makes it a must in a metal studio.

the countryman DI is one of the best sounding DI's for keyboards and guitars, but i agree with Wolfeman, get the LL first. Then get the Countryman later.

I have a groove tubes passive DI box and I'm looking to upgrade. I was looking into a JDI but the little labs redeye has had nothing but good things said about it plus the reamp functionality is pretty nice. I would go with the redeye. Let me know if you find any good deals on some!

i have both...the DI on the Redeye is great!, and also the re amp feature makes it a must in a metal studio.

the countryman DI is one of the best sounding DI's for keyboards and guitars, but i agree with Wolfeman, get the LL first. Then get the Countryman later.
Huh, you really think the Countryman is worth getting even if someone has the RedEye? Is there that much audible difference?
I thought of getting the Countryman (I have a RedEye) but dumped the idea and put in the "gearlust" folder.. now it's back on the desk thanks to you :lol:

Yeah, back in my DI shootout way back when, I found the (passive) Redeye to be like 90-95%% there compared with the Countryman on passives (and indistinguishable with actives), so it's definitely great on all sources - but now that the Redeye 3D is out, it should be the ultimate weapon!

Pretty much every DI box out there (passive or active) sounds ok and is usable.
However the sonic differences between those boxes are comparable to the differences between mic pres.
So if people can argue for ages about the flavours of mic pres, everyone should at least start thinking about the sound of their DIs.
Grab your favourite bass and split the signals to two DI boxes and have a listen. There's a lot more happening than you might think!

Huh, you really think the Countryman is worth getting even if someone has the RedEye? Is there that much audible difference?
I thought of getting the Countryman (I have a RedEye) but dumped the idea and put in the "gearlust" folder.. now it's back on the desk thanks to you :lol:

you'll never know until you hear one man....you'll never know....:lol:

buy seriously...get one whenever you have a chance.