Little Labs Redeye (as DI + reamp) vs. Countryman Type 85 + Cuniberti Reamp V2

Josh Burgess

Feb 18, 2008
Tampa, FL
Alright... so, I want to have the capability of recording DIs and also the option of reamping. From all I've gathered, a lot of people like the Little Labs Red Eye, but I've read that the Countryman Type 85 is a better sounding DI.... both the Red Eye and the Cuniberti Reamp are supposed to be about as capable as each other when it comes to reamping...

So, I'm stuck deciding between getting the Red Eye for both tasks or getting the Countryman for DI + Reamp for reamping.... can anyone offer opinions on which way to go? It'd be cool to just have it all in one box, but at the same time I'm willing to buy the countryman + reamp if the countryman is a better sounding DI...

Never tried the Countryman but the Redeye's DI is perfect if your using something like EMG *active* pickups. Don't see the need in spending out that much cash for the 2 seperate things but thats just me.

If you've got the money for the Countryman and the Reamp, that'd be my vote tbh! Redeye is a great DI for active pickups, but while it's still good for passives, there's a bit of loss (you can judge for yourself here)

Well, I do use EMGs but I also have a guitar right now with passive pickups and may use passives now and then for certain things.... so i want the DI to be able to sound good with either and I've heard many people say the Countryman sounds great with either active or passive pickups... I also remember reading something on here where the Red Eye came in last place in a DI shootout that was posted...

If you've got the money for the Countryman and the Reamp, that'd be my vote tbh! Redeye is a great DI for active pickups, but while it's still good for passives, there's a bit of loss (you can judge for yourself here)

Ah, yeah.... I guess that was what I was just talking about in the previous post. So, does the Red Eye have any features that the Countryman + Reamp setup is lacking? I mean, is there any other reason to consider the Red Eye over the combo of the other two?

I had already clicked reply and was typing a response to The_Shred while you wrote your first post. That's why I didn't see it...

Right, got it :D And to answer your question, no, the only advantages in getting the Redeye over the Countryman and Reamp are price and the fact that it's one box instead of two; feature-wise they're identical! (well, the Redeye allows for daisy chaining with more Redeyes, but I know one is just fine for me :loco: )

Just ordered a Countryman DI to go with my ReAmp v2.0, mainly cuz I wanted a little bit more versatility than the "either/or" of the Redeye (otherwise I would have it!), plus I already owned the Reamp and its tested and works well for me, so I was reluctant to part with it.

Pretty simple answer really.

If you're on a budget and want one unit to do both adequately then grab the Red Eye. As mentioned, you won't notice much loss with actives, but with passives it's a bigger difference. If you care more about tone than cash then grabbing the Type 85 and Cunniberti would be the go.

I jumped through 3 DIs in order to get to the Type 85, and I don't see myself moving anywhere. The only 'better' units are the esoteric tube ones that are raved about on GS, and who knows how well they even do at capturing a tone transparently - which is what we want. The Type 85 is comparatively cheap and built like a brick shithouse. Great design philosophy - very 'no BS'. Me likey.