Potentially dangerous singal chains for using real amps with impulses and load boxes

Apr 14, 2010
Germany
hey all,

I've spoken to a couple of forum members lately because I wanted to learn about the optimal signal chain for using real tube amps (or solid state, just real amps) with cab impulses and dummy load boxes.

what I found out is that some people seem to use a signal chains that I think could be potentialy damaging equipment.

for example:

poweramp out A -> dummy load box
poweramp out B -> straight into the interface

or

poweramp out A -> dummy load box
poweramp out B -> DI box -> into the interface

or

poweramp out A -> DI box -> interface
DI box slave out/through -> load box

these are three signal routings for example where I'm not sure they're safe.
The problem seems to be the wattage an amp puts out and whether or not your DI box/interface can handle the power.

in addition, I also spoke to the manufacturers of the DI boxes I own (radial JDI, little labs redeye 3D) to ask them if their DI boxes could handle the power.

little labs warned me not to try running the power of an amp through their redeye saying it couldn't handle it.

radial on the other hand told me that if I engaged the 15 db pad and the speaker emulation circuit/pad that the unit would be able to cope with the power the amp puts out.

specs suggest that the countryman type85 can also put up with a lot of power so you could probably use this DI box without worry.

so what I'm trying to do here is to a) put out the information and the word of caution and moreover b) to get your opinion about the ideal signal chain for using real amps with cab impulses and a load box.

I hope I'm not affronting anybodie here, just trying to help and learn:)

thanks guys.

What power amp are you talking about here? When you say 'power amp out' are you talking about the speaker outputs, or a dedicated line out? For one thing, going from a power amp out into an impulse won't sound very good to begin with. Impulses want a preamp out. Impulses are made from power-section/speaker/mic/mic pre.

You want to go from a preamp out/fx send to do everything proper.

What power amp are you talking about here? When you say 'power amp out' are you talking about the speaker outputs, or a dedicated line out?

sorry, of course I meant the speaker outputs of the guitar amp.

For one thing, going from a power amp out into an impulse won't sound very good to begin with. Impulses want a preamp out. Impulses are made from power-section/speaker/mic/mic pre.

yeah I read that impulses are made that way. however, I alwas thought from reading around here that it was desireable to tap the signal from the power-amp section of the guitar amp?

so what's a load box for then anyway? I don't get it.
if the preamp signal is all you want, you don't need a loadbox but just keep your cab hooked up and turn the master volume way down right?

Hey dude, just got word today that the Countryman cannot just take the load, you still have to hook up a cabinet. The specs suggest it can take an amp's load but what it really means is that it can handle the power running through it on the way to a cabinet. Major bummer as I really hoped it could handle acting as a load for amps but oh well...

hey thanks for the clarification 006 that's good to know.

but that would mean as long as you have a load (speaker or dummy) you're still god to go.

so far we have the radial JDI and the countryman type85 and the palmer PDI01 (thanks Tony S.) that you can use in conjuction with a load box or cabinet.

anybody else use a different DI box different and wants to share?

For one thing, going from a power amp out into an impulse won't sound very good to begin with. Impulses want a preamp out. Impulses are made from power-section/speaker/mic/mic pre.

I disagree. I think it sounds great going out with a poweramp out into an impulse. (According to the Line out of my JSX which I'm assuming is power amp out) Sure it's "proper" to do it preamp out/fx send, but in reality there are no set rules.
I wish someone with a thd hotplate could do a shoot out between preamp out/poweramp out into one of the popular impulses on this forum.

Hey dude, just got word today that the Countryman cannot just take the load, you still have to hook up a cabinet. The specs suggest it can take an amp's load but what it really means is that it can handle the power running through it on the way to a cabinet. Major bummer as I really hoped it could handle acting as a load for amps but oh well...

Ermz has mentioned that a couple times. Always have to run the parallel output back to the cab and it'll work out just fine. Haven't tried it yet though.