Recording a Tube Amp using impulses

deckrg

Jun 30, 2010
Portugal
So here's the deal, lately I've been using my jcm900 50w combo to record my band demo, however as I can't krank it or mic it properly.
The solution I found is to turn the power on but leave the stand by on the amp, using either the Send or Recording Output to my interface and then put some impulses and Post EQ.
The thing is when I'm using the recording out the volume knob(poweramp section) works as it should normally witch led me to believe that I might be damaging the poweramp section.

depends on amplifier-design. in most tube-amplfiers the standby-switch activates the hv (plate-voltage) from pre- and poweramp-tubes and main-power-switch only activates the heaters.so there is no sound if standby-switch is off. but i don`t know how the jcm900 is designed.

regards, khe

I got a recording out and recording compesated output. What I don't know is if their design was meant to DI the amp when playing live or to use it like I'm.

Edit: Found this
Q: What’s the Direct Out and Recording Compensated Out for?
A: The Direct Out is an unfiltered signal directly from the Preamp which allows you to connect to an external power amplifier. The Recording Compensated Out is a filtered signal for connecting directly to recording equipment or a PA system. *Note: Even when using these line-outs, you still must connect the amp to a speaker cabinet of the proper rating. Powering up the amp, or any tube amp, without a proper load connected (meaning a speaking cabinet) will cause harm to the amp, possibly blowing the output transformer.

However I own a 4502 jcm 900 combo so the speakers are always connected, just not giving any sound in stand by. I guess it works as the load dummy?