Hate starting another tube amp thread but....

nialldoran

Jun 11, 2010
Belfast, N.Ireland
we can let it die as soon as i get a definate answer.

ive been searching the forum for a while, i know you cant use a full tube head without a cab or dummy load etc.

but im wondering if i could plug my head (marshall avt 150w) using fx send into my interface (for impulses) with no cab connected as its a hybrid amp, it has a single 12ax7 in the preamp, but it has a solid state power amp section,

i couldnt get a definate answer on the hybrid side of things,

thanks
Niall

Yes, you will be fine with nothing plugged in. The power amp section of the AVT could really care less if a load is connected or not.

Yes, you will be fine with nothing plugged in. The power amp section of the AVT could really care less if a load is connected or not.

haha excellant thanks man, its not the best most expensive amp but i still didnt want to chance ruining it, so do solid state power sections not have output transformers then?

Nope, they don't have output transformers. The chip is essentially directly connected. No speaker means infinite load which is all good to a solid state amp.

In fact I am pretty sure dummy loads are bad for SS amps. Not totally sure why, but every manufacturer warns against it. I mean it is pointless to use one or an attenuator anyway... but you how guitarists are sometimes... hehe

haha excellant thanks man, its not the best most expensive amp but i still didnt want to chance ruining it, so do solid state power sections not have output transformers then?

The majority do not. One exception is the Peavey XXL, which has a SS power amp and utilizes an output transformer. Probably why it sounds better than most SS amps :)