6505 & IR help

MetalJonesy

more metal, more booze!!!
Ive tried searching for this specific question but haven't stumbled across a definate answer,

Ive just made a cpl of IRs of my 6505 and im wanting to use them (as i cant crank my rig all the time) i was just wondering if using the 6505 with standby off (ie no sound to th cab) will i still get the preamp out signal from the pre out?

and more to the point, do i still need a cab connected? i know many guys on the forum with engls dont have to have the cab connected if the standby isn't flicked, just wondering about the 6505

cheers

With any 5150/6505's i believe you need standboy on and the cab attached, which is unfortunate. D:

You could just make a cheapy speaker load dude :)

You need a speaker or a load box connected. Also, the 6505 preamp is disabled on standby, unlike many other amps, so you will get no sound unless the amp is on full power. Additionally, it's important to note that the 6505 lacks a master volume - in fact, the post gain knob on each channel is controlling the PREAMP level, so that has to be past 2/10 at least in order to get full bodied tone from the preamp.

Thanks for the reply man but I'm familiar with those things. What I'm not sure about is should I put the cable from the preamp out to line in, mic in or hi-z in my Profire2626?

Of course I've tried all of those inputs with different results. Just want to know what is the proper input.

Thanks anyway

So Shane, are you saying the tone will be different when using impulses depending on how you set the post gain? I tried it a while ago but I don't remember hearing much of a difference.

So Shane, are you saying the tone will be different when using impulses depending on how you set the post gain? I tried it a while ago but I don't remember hearing much of a difference.

Absolutely, yes. Put post gain on 0 and you will get a lot of noise but almost zero tone. Turn it up to about 3/10 and you will be in reasonable territory for rhythms. Past that, the preamp actually begins to compress and saturate more, can be useful for leads.