Connecting a POD XT to a 6505

REDBOX04

Obsessed with Gear
Jan 16, 2008
in my mind
Quick question to you all...

What I want to be able to do is send my guitar through an ABY splitter, one signal going to my 6505+ and one signal going to my POD XT Pro. The Pod XT Pro's Unbalanced Outs would be going into my peavey's Preamp Out. Then I could easily switch between A or B on the signal splitter pedal to switch between using only the 6505+ or only the Line 6 POD.

I tried this setup yesterday and it worked great! It did exactly what I wanted it to do. HOWEVER...what I'm wondering is...is this safe to do?

Could plugging the POD's unbalanced out into the Preamp Out of the 6505+ potentially harm the Peavey or the POD? Is this one of the uses that the Preamp Out is made for on the Peavey?

Here is the signal flow for those of you still confused about what I'm doing:

Guitar > ABY Splitter < Signal 1> Pod Xt front input > 6505+'s power amp
< Signal 2> 6505+

Thanks!

AeternusEternus: I know it sounds weird but I'm telling you its working. :D

I plugged my guitar straight into the front input on the Line 6 Pod XT Pro. Then I took a cable and ran it from the unbalanced Line outs of the Pod into the Peavey 6505+ Preamp Out - It worked!

Cleans from the POD were beautifully clean, and everything sounded absolutely great!

So, I'm not asking if it can be done, I already proved it can! lol

I just want to know if its okay to do this or could it potentially harm my amp or pod?

Why wouldn't you use the FX return, which is just as likely to work and makes far more sense? ;)

+3972169218

Straight from the manual...

"This output can be used to send a preamp signal from the 6505™+ to a mixing console, tape recorder, etc.,
using a shielded instrument cable. Patching from the PREAMP OUT does not affect the normal operation of
the amplifier."

Don't connect the Pod there. Use the FX Return dude.

If I use the FX Return, then wouldn't I have to press two buttons in order to switch from the POD to the Peavey; the FX Loop Button and the Splitter A/B button?

Or would that make it to where I wouldn't even need the ABY splitter at all? Just plug the guitar straight into the 6505 and then the POD into the FX Return, and then just turn on/off the FX return to switch between the two? I dont even need to send a separate signal going to the POD?

I thought that by connecting the POD to the FX Return would just be blending the POD tones with whatever channel I have engaged on the 6505. I want to use the amp sims on the POD for cleans so I didnt want both signals blending.

Nope, the FX return is strictly a power amp input, so you'd just have the loop always-on and use the AB box to switch! :)

Ah I see, because its not looped! So it would just be bypassing the preamp! Very cool, thanks for clearing that up! :)

So, just out of plain curiosity, when I was connecting to the Preamp Out...was that essentially doing the same thing then - going to the power amp? I'm assuming connecting to the Preamp Out is just another option encase the FX Loop is already taken up by another processor you have blending with the 6505 sounds right?

So I could potentially have a TC Electronic G-Force in the loop, blended with the 6505 and then still have the signal split with the POD connecting to the Preamp Out?

As far as I know the preamp out is just that, so I have absolutely no idea how your setup worked tbh! :lol:

Ok I plugged into the FX Return today and it made a TON of extra hum/hiss noise. I seem to be getting better results from the Preamp Out lol

Confused...I think Im going to write peavey...lol

i'd be afraid of putting an output into an output...i mean... its not made to do that - it may work but in the long run you might end up frying a small capacitor or something if the load is too high - couldn't you?

Ok so I contacted Peavey and they told me this...

That's not what it's made for, but it should work fine. It would be a little low on sensitivity, but if he doesn't mind, then it doesn't matter.

John C. Fields
Engineering Manager (MI Amps)

Hooray!:kickass:

Ok I plugged into the FX Return today and it made a TON of extra hum/hiss noise. I seem to be getting better results from the Preamp Out lol

Confused...I think Im going to write peavey...lol

u must be doing something wrong...

i have a pod bean connected to the fx return of a peavey 6505 and it works perfectly well...peavey preamp is therefore bypassed and my pod sounds great throu the peavey.
however i use it in the fx loop just for fx