what are the advantages of a pod xt pro?

XxSicRokerxX

Gabriel R.
Nov 25, 2010
Orange County, CA
So basically im looking at the pod xt pro and pro xt live.

But do i really need any?

I currently record DI's using my toneport ux2 and i mix them using lecto or nickcrown plugins. Then i'll use a few respected impulses for cab emulation then i'll comp,eq,etc.

Now if i were to get a POD xt live or POD xt PRO what advantages would i have?

The only real ones i can think of are CPU wise, i mean...i would be using these hardware devices to simulate the amp tone and directly send it to my PC and record then add a cab impulse?

What if i am not happy w the tones i receive from either pod xts and just use lecto or nick crow plugins does that in a way defeat the purpose?

I noticed that JOEY prefers pod xt pro over real amps, this is what led to think maybe i should invest into a pod xt pro since he gets great tones.

Any advice would helpful

So far i am using my toneport ux2 to record guitars, bass, and vocals.

I can't deny the fact that you can get some really nice guitar tones out of a pod. But, getting them to sit well in a mix is the problem (unless you really know your shit). Guitars rarely sound all that great by themselves when you isolate them from a track, which is something people do when using a pod. They get an amazing tone out of it, but it just lacks the raw sound you get from an amp, but together, when using an amp that sounds nice in a room, they make the whole thing come together. I've ran my guitar through pods and all other sorts of hardware units and amp sims, and still nothing beats an amp of any sort with a 57 thrown in front of it. Since you have the Toneport, you have an interface and a mic pre, all you need is a nice amp and a mic. You'd definitely be better off going that route.

He used to used to use it for the S/PDIF out? Signal is cleaner, so it improves your signal to noise ratio, giving you that little more Dynamic range/headroom on your guitars. :) Hope that helps.

I have never been able to find evidence to support this, and thus have always concluded: PODxt Pro has no advantage, aside from DIFFERENT (not better) i/o and the ability to mount it into a rack.