Interest of a DiBox with an interface ? + question

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hi

I was reading about DI and reamp boxes.

My question is : what is the interest of using a DI box when you have an instrument input on your interface ?

also, if I'm right, the output of an interface is not at line level, which implies there is an actual mandatory need for a reamp box to create a signal that will be at instrument level to feed the amp, right ?

My question is : what is the interest of using a DI box when you have an instrument input on your interface ?
No need for a DI box in this case :)

also, if I'm right, the output of an interface is not at line level
In most cases it is at line level.

there is an actual mandatory need for a reamp box to create a signal that will be at instrument level to feed the amp, right ?
Right.

If your interface has an instrument level input (with input imp. > 1Mohm), you should be fine without a DI box as well..
A DI box basically converts your instrument level signal to mic level (don't remember the terminology), so you plug it's output into a mic pre..
So your mic pre should also be good!

About reamping directly from the interface line-out, most people here would recommend you use a reamp box for the same reason you stated. Though, I do remember one discussion where someone said that the line out of the Profire 610 is good enough to be used without a reamp box..

Cheers

My question was because everybody seems to record their DIs with a DI box, and most of them already have a good interface, so I dont understand, do they search the last % of tone they loose using only the interface ?