DI box between direct out (koch loadbox) / Fx send (6505+112) and Audio Interface?

cboysen

Feb 29, 2012
Hi, this is sort of an off-topic from another thread, but here goes.

I use a Koch loadbox for my 6505+ 112 to record silently.
Connecting the loadbox via direct out to the Scarlett 2i2 Audio interface instrument level gives me a bad clipping. Using the line level input on the Audio interface doesn't cause clipping, but the signal is very bad / tone is very uneven.

Will connecting an active DI box, like a countryman 85, between the loadbox direct out / fx send and the Scarlett 2i2, fix the clipping issues at instrument level and 'restore' the signal, which I can use for recording with impulses, for decent results?

Normally you would connect the guitar directly to the DI, but I'm not looking for re-amping, or running a clean signal to the audio interface - I'm looking for a good tone from my 6505+112 amp for recording purposes.

Kind regards
Christian

The direct out from the koch loadbox is line level, so you should send it to an input of that level. As you've mentioned, this fixes the clipping issue.
What exactly do you mean by bad/uneven tone though? Could you post a sample? You are talking about the unfiltered output right?

I've used a loadbox with my 6505 this way to feed impulses as well, and with pretty standard 6505 settings and a postgain of about 3, going into a profire2626 I got very usable results.

EDIT: I just notice that i was using a Loadbox 2. If you are using the first Loadbox, it may not have an unfiltered output, which would explain why it sounds weird with impulses.

The direct out from the koch loadbox is line level, so you should send it to an input of that level. As you've mentioned, this fixes the clipping issue.
What exactly do you mean by bad/uneven tone though? Could you post a sample? You are talking about the unfiltered output right?

I've used a loadbox with my 6505 this way to feed impulses as well, and with pretty standard 6505 settings and a postgain of about 3, going into a profire2626 I got very usable results.

EDIT: I just notice that i was using a Loadbox 2. If you are using the first Loadbox, it may not have an unfiltered output, which would explain why it sounds weird with impulses.

I do use the LB120ii - And well then, I dunno - I'll try a quick sample of a tone with and without an impulse.

If the DI would have no impact on the tone, that'd be great for my wallet, but bad for my lifespan, since this really bugs me. Not knowing what's causing, is such a tedious nightmare..

Anyway, here is a quick sample of the tone (first take, had to be quick, so really sorry if the sloppy playing is too unbearable)

First Clip with Impulses:

Next clip is without impulses:

Hmm - It seems as if, the amplification algorithm in Audacity (yeah, only place I know where I can amplify a track) is making some weird discrete background-flopping on this clip, but never mind that..

Here is a screenshot of the reaper DAW with LeCab Impulses and Rendering settings:
Reaper_6505%2B%20Clip.PNG

Kind regards
Christian

Last edited by a moderator:
I would just run it out through the effects send.
Done it with a Bugera head, Crate head, and a Vox combo; worked perfect each time.

I've tried that, and I'll play around with it a bit more later today - but for what I tried, there wasn't any noticeable difference in terms of quality, only a slight warmth by the power tubes when taking the direct out of the loadbox.. :/