Help! Gain-structure problems? 6505+ 112 w/ Catharsis Impulses.. somethings wrong

cboysen

Feb 29, 2012
I'm trying to get a really good heavy metal(core) / death tone out my home recording gear, aiming for something like this [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLd6h5td8G4]As I Lay Dying "Parallels" (OFFICIAL VIDEO) - YouTube[/ame] or this [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1BTRqt1UFY&feature=related]As I Lay Dying - Electric Eye - YouTube[/ame]
Maybe a bit less scooped, but something along the lines..

Now... I hooked my 6505+ 112 to my Koch Loadbox, and send it through my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface and then applied a Catharsis s-highpres impulse. Having a TS808 up front and a decimator g-string in the loop, and no EQ in the DAW, only a little high shelf above 12k.
But here's the problem - However I tried to dial it in, it had this apparent rattling noise, like a digital clipping noise - but checking the parameters, nothing is clipping - I even pushed it into digital clipping at one point, just to make sure.. Overall I dunno what to think of the tone.. It's sorta heavy but if you turn up the volume, you'll notice the gain is odd. It's uneven, and doesn't have that continuous distortion on power chords. And around 4-9khz you'll notice the weird clipping noise. it'll be more noticable if you boost this area with an EQ..

So what can cause this - Cable interference? (I do have rather sh**ty cables) - or do I need a new audio interface. Could it be that the active EMG pickups 18v modded is clipping before it's reaching the amp, or could even be something inside the amp - like tubes or the transformer?

So here goes:

Kind regards
Christian

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried using the microphone-simulated DI instead of the load box?

Using the DI mic sim on the Koch Loadbox yields no particular difference, only in a bad way.. the DI mic simulation is not as realistic as the impulse. To make sure it wasn't the Direct out of the loadbox, I tried taking the FX send signal out directly to my Audio Interface - So it cannot be the loadbox, nor the power tubes.. although pushing the power tubes does cause a weird similar noise around 8-10 (cranked) when using the loadbox.. but I'll experiment a little further..

Atm I've my eyes on the Preamp tubes and the cables.. but I'm not sure of anything..I highly doubt it's the audio interface, since running DIY to the audio interface with VST amp sims, does not create that odd distortion..

sounds right to me. try tuning each note in the chords for the chord and recording each chord separately and see if they turn out more even. or get your guitar perfectly intonated. tell me if that fixes it or not.