HELP! Focusrite Scarlett clipping problems

??? Every interface I've ever had the level for the instrument input is effected by the gain pot. Your signal is still going through the mic amp, just it's coming in via the instrument input which adjusts the impedance for a guitar/bass.

Also be aware folks, buying a DI box isn't necessarily going to solve your problems in a situation like this. Or at least not without possibly causing more.

The problem is caused by the interface being designed with a high amount of gain even at the pot's lowest position (I think on the Focusrite's it's something lke 10-13dB!)

Using a DI you can pad the signal, but depending on the design this can alter the input impedance to something less than optimal. For example the BSS AR133 goes from 1 Mohm at 0dB, to 47 Kohm with the -20dB pad in. With a BSS AR133 I can still clip the input of my A&H Zed R16 (6dB minimum gain) if I play hard enough. Also turning a signal down at the DI box in order for it to be amplified at the preamp isn't exactly best practice from a gain staging point of view.

Overall your best bet is to get an interface that has a 20dB pad, so regardless of if you're using an external DI or not you should be able to get a decent input signal.

Thanks for info!
Indeed. based on specs, the gain range of instrument input is +10dB to +55dB.
So in this case, what would you suggest (instead of buying new interface)?

I have no issues like that with my Scarlett 2i2. My guitar is a Schecter Demon with active Duncan-designed PUs but no clipping until 10 'o clock.

I have no issues like that with my Scarlett 2i2. My guitar is a Schecter Demon with active Duncan-designed PUs but no clipping until 10 'o clock.

Hi Dave1978,
it's weird.. Mine is '88 Japanese Aria Pro II with Wilde L-500XL, and I thought it cause of 2i2 can't stand with hot pickup. But you have no problem with active pu.

Any settings or adjustment on it??

I got the same input clipping problem with my Edirol/Roland UA-25EX. But only when using the Redeye as DI box combined with EMGs. When i go straight into the interface it's not clipping. Where can i read in the specs the input headroom or for what i have to look? Nominal inputlevel?

Scarlett MixControl doesn't came up with 2i2 model due it's lack of i/o routing.

Here's I've seen on Focusrite Answerbase (FAQ):
Can I use Scarlett MixControl with the Scarlett 2i2?
No, the Scarlett 2i2 is not compatible with Scarlett MixControl. All of its controls are hardware based instead. To change buffer size and sample rate go to the audio preferences in your DAW (Mac) or press the control panel button from the audio preferences in your DAW (PC).

"To change buffer size and sample rate go to the audio preferences in your DAW (Mac) or press the control panel button from the audio preferences in your DAW (PC)." Any idea how to figure it out guys? I'm sorry for noob question.

Thanks for clearing that up about the 2i2.

As for your question, inside whatever program you use (Pro Tools, logic, cubase, sonar etc) go into the audio preferences menu. You will be able to adjust all the buffers and sample rates within the program you use. A DAW is just 'digital audio workstation'

Came across this thread via Google. Experiencing the same clipping issues myself.

As a temporary solution I have been switching the input from Instrument to Line and that immediately brings the level way down. So my question is, why can't that be a long term solution also? Does recording a guitar at Line level introduce problems?

There is simple pad solution if input impedance is 1 M, wire one 500k resistor serial and one 1 M parallel to Hi-Z (for example in large jack housing), this will give initial 1 MOhm impedance as seen from guitar and two times lower level because of voltage divider :)
Maybe this can solve some problems without DI box.
For general case: R1 (serial resistor)=Zin*(1-k), R2 (parallel resistor)=Zin*k/(1-k), where Zin - initial input impedance, k - desired level fraction. For mentioned case k=0.5, Zin=1 M, so R1=500k, R2=1 M.

Recording passive pickups into line input is bad idea because of low impedance, while it works for actives.

Came across this thread via Google. Experiencing the same clipping issues myself.

As a temporary solution I have been switching the input from Instrument to Line and that immediately brings the level way down. So my question is, why can't that be a long term solution also? Does recording a guitar at Line level introduce problems?

You'll lose quite a bit of high end due to the impedance mismatch.