Sould i throw the Focusrite Scarlett out of my window??

neotam0103

New Metal Member
Jan 2, 2012
my computer was a Sony Vaio running Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lduYYLOqI20

the clipping just drive me crazy
i am very regret bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 now...
i just want a slient and stable interface..
who can help me now ??
if this time i can't settle this problems..
maybe i will switch to Presonus or something like that ...and never back to Focusrite again..

thank you very much for helping....thank you :D

You're focusrite doesn't look like its clipping. When it clips the gain ring goes red.

You're guitar lead looks like its held together with tape? I'd consider buying a new lead. Also check you're softwares inputs and outputs. It's most likely here were the problem lies.

You're focusrite doesn't look like its clipping. When it clips the gain ring goes red.

You're guitar lead looks like its held together with tape? I'd consider buying a new lead. Also check you're softwares inputs and outputs. It's most likely here were the problem lies.

This +1
Except it's your*

You should not trust clipping indicators on interfaces, better to check input levels in software, or even record some fragment and check peaks waveforms for clipping, to be sure.
Anyway 2i2 have ridiculously low maximum input level of instrument input.
DI sample could be helpfull to see problem in details.

He's right, the 2i2 has 10db+ of gain on the inst mode, so when you plug a guitar and the interface gain is set at zero, it clips. Focusrite have acknowledged this but they don't bother saying it in their website, and suggested I buy a DI box to plug before in order to solve this problem. The line mode has no clipping but it doesn't sound the same. I'm considering throwing it out as well, it's a nice interface but it's pretty annoying to use it when the levels are that bad. I don't think products like these should come with a need to buy another product. Anyway I haven't tried another interface so I don't know if the 2i2 is really better or worse than others.

I've got the Scarlett 18i20 and have recorded active and passive pickups through it. The guitar with actives did not clip but the one with passives DID (which was surprising). I lowered the height of the passive pickups by a couple mm and that solved the issue. Perhaps lowering your pickups might do the same for you.

I've got the Scarlett 18i20 and have recorded active and passive pickups through it. The guitar with actives did not clip but the one with passives DID (which was surprising). I lowered the height of the passive pickups by a couple mm and that solved the issue. Perhaps lowering your pickups might do the same for you.
Actives at 9 V usually have peak output no more than approximately 2 V (due to internal preamp clipping), while passives can have more.
18i20 have +8 dbu without Pad, while 2i2 have only -3 dbu and no Pad at all.

At least without DI sample is hard to judge about clipping, indicator on interface did not show it.

imho it is worth it to just buy a Countryman (etc.) DI box - even if you have a decent preamp. The Focusrite is good, but you'll be fighting that shit. The Countryman tracks will be quality and easy to deal with.

imho it is worth it to just buy a Countryman (etc.) DI box - even if you have a decent preamp. The Focusrite is good, but you'll be fighting that shit. The Countryman tracks will be quality and easy to deal with.
Check maximum input level and THD of countrymans, it`s fun :)

I keep my scarlet for recording vocals (SE2200) and acoustic guitar (2 x NT5s). I went back to the UX1 for recording guitar after 5 minutes of dicking around with the scarlet.

Likely the last focusrite product I buy, because surely someone in the factory tested it, went "fuck it", and they kept it quiet. If you do a google search, there are a mountain of forum threads where people have been caught out by it.

It seems that they understans situation and after 2i2 they made 2i4 with +13 dbu, not very bad, many popular DI boxes have even less (Radial J48 have +10 dbu (maybe Pad can help, don`t know), Countryman Type 85 have 5 Vpp i.e. +10 dbu, but with 1% THD, which is too much, BSS AR-133 have +9 dbu at 1 MOhm mode i.e. without Pad).
So... fuck manufacturers that thinks that only weak pickups exists :)