I really like my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40

Thanks Matt. I'm using Reaper too and tried it that way. I still need to mute all other tracks to prevent them from going through the amp. Guess I'll need to try some more. Thanks for the help mate!

You need to create a send from the track to the hardware output of your choice

ok, so I had one day to try this thing now. I´ve swapped it with an m-audio profire 2626. I definitely got to say - software mixer is well arranged and works for me(better than m-audio). runs stable on my mac, crashes on my win7 64bit(time to get a separate firewire card I guess).
what I wanted to say is - the preamps are stronger and sound better than on that m-audio. definitely very audible. also they have a somehow warm feeling to them which I like.

what still pisses me off is the craftsmanship. obviously you can´t expect proper knobs at this prices - so basicly I am thinking about sending this one back too and getting something more expensive. like a presonus firestudio tube or rme.

has anyone ever used the adat interface on that pro 40? I heard those adat covers are very unstable and basicly fall off or go inside the device when you try using them - anybody tried? (I am kind of afraid to do it.)

ok, so I had one day to try this thing now. I´ve swapped it with an m-audio profire 2626. I definitely got to say - software mixer is well arranged and works for me(better than m-audio). runs stable on my mac, crashes on my win7 64bit(time to get a separate firewire card I guess).
what I wanted to say is - the preamps are stronger and sound better than on that m-audio. definitely very audible. also they have a somehow warm feeling to them which I like.

what still pisses me off is the craftsmanship. obviously you can´t expect proper knobs at this prices - so basicly I am thinking about sending this one back too and getting something more expensive. like a presonus firestudio tube or rme.

has anyone ever used the adat interface on that pro 40? I heard those adat covers are very unstable and basicly fall off or go inside the device when you try using them - anybody tried? (I am kind of afraid to do it.)

I have had none of these issues with Windows 7 64 Ultimate AT ALL. The fuckers been rock solid since day 1, and I have a separate PCI firewire card. Had a buddys here along with mine yesterday and had no issues running via ADAT so maybe its something with your PC / MAC or something.

I have no issues with mine, and havent for the last 3 months I have had it.

You need to create a send from the track to the hardware output of your choice

Yup Yup, not sure what DAW you are using but in Sonar you set the output for that track to go to the Saffire channel you are playing back out of. Then enable it in the interface on the Saffire and BOOM, you can play back through your Monitors and send the signal to your Re-Amp box or direct to a pedal / amp / FX processor with no issues. I do it all the time :)

I have had none of these issues with Windows 7 64 Ultimate AT ALL. The fuckers been rock solid since day 1, and I have a separate PCI firewire card. Had a buddys here along with mine yesterday and had no issues running via ADAT so maybe its something with your PC / MAC or something.

I have no issues with mine, and havent for the last 3 months I have had it.

as I said, I think it´s my onboard firewire. the only reason for me to use windows for audio purposes is the free cubase, yeah. as I am going to purchase cubase studio 5 next month anyways I will probably just move all my audio work to my macbook pro.

So is it worth it to get a Focusrite interface?

I currently have a Firebox now and I'm not too happy with the preamps after having to crank the gain to track my bass with EMGs. I will not be doing any drum tracking, as this is purely a hobby for me and I have no room in my house to put a real drum kit. I was thinking about getting the Saffire 24 (@ $399 new, $220-$300 used on ebay) and selling my Firebox for ~$150-200 on ebay to make some of the money back. Would that be a wise decision? Keep in mind bass and vocals (and possibly some really rough scratch guitar tracks for demos) are the only thing I'd be using it for to track.

Man, the firewire latency setting problem was apparently fixed in the latest update.

I am a happy man.

I really like how the market for Saffire Pro's is opening up. When I bought mine, it was the new kid on the block and no one knew anything about them. It was hard to find information about them and I basically bought it because I didn't know Profires were going for just a bit more money.

Now, I'm glad I jumped into the Focusrite train. It's great. And they've been doing many improvements since; I remember reading an interview that listed "not being able to use stand-alone" as a con, but after that they were actually able to make it useable stand-alone without making any changes to the physical design of the product, by updating the firmware! In ya face random audio interface reviewer on the internet.

Most negative things about my Pro 40 are gone, I like how stable it is. Now all I need, is a Mac Pro.

aside from functionality and stability etc, do you guys find the preamps and converters of a superior quality to say the profire or the firestudio project?
i guess what i'm asking is, do these sound better?

aside from functionality and stability etc, do you guys find the preamps and converters of a superior quality to say the profire or the firestudio project?
i guess what i'm asking is, do these sound better?

Check out this thread, there's some talk about the pres and conversion compared to the Profire.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/606199-profire-2626-vs-saffire-pro-40-a.html

I personally haven't worked with Profire or Firestudio so I can't say if they're better, but what I can say is these preamps are fucking good.

i just saw that! thanks dude, even in AUS i think i can get the saffire cheaper? weird. i currently have the firestudio project, might be worth a trade..

i like the bit where matt compares it to the countryman the most.

@Jackal_Strain

get the octopre mkII or the octopre mkII dynamic, its just another 8 channels and the dynamic adds focusrite compressors to each channel with the same flexibility and satiability of the pro 40

the Pro 40 can't be used as a standalone unit for an additional 8 pre's, you'll have to tether then via ADAT and set the Octopre MKii as the master clock.

Sorry for the necrobump but figured it'd be better than starting my own thread.

Can you guys confirm that it can't be used as a bank of 8pres over adat? If it can I'm thinking of picking one up instead of the octopre as it has outs aswell as ins which I could really use. The octopre dynamic has outs but I would never use the comps on it. I'm using a Fireface 800 as my main interface if that makes any difference. If it can't then I'll have to go with something else

Hoping someone is still reading this thread.

I'm looking to buy the Saffire Pro 40 mainly for drum recording. I'm worried that it wouldn't work with a 6 dynamic + 2 condenser mic setup because the phantom can be switched on 4 inputs at once (1-4 & 5-8) so I would have to plug in at least 2 dynamics into phantom powered inputs (e.g. inputs 1-6 dynamic, 7-8 condenser). Is this going to pose any issues?

Thanks!

Most dynamic mics will work with phantom power on without problems as long as they are properly wired, with the exception of passive ribbon mics.