Saffire 40 as ADAT preamp?

TonyS.

www.SoundCollab.com | www.risingstorm-music.com
Feb 13, 2010
Berlin
www.soundcollab.com
Hey little question ist it possible to use the Saffire 40 just as an ADAT preamp?

Im thinking about this Setup:
Saffire 56 as Interface and Pro 40 just for 8 more Inputs via ADAT. The Problem is, there is no word clock on the pro 40.

Lack of word-clock connectivity could hurt you, but otherwise it's an entirely feasible setup. A better choice would be the OctoPre range from Focusrite - the MkII Dynamic would be perfect for what you're after.

If you get an original Pro 40, it might need a Firmware update before it'll run in Standalone mode.

I agree about the Octopre. An original Octopre LE would be a better solution than a Pro 40, and would work out cheaper.

:)

Thx for the fast postings!

The thing is I could trade my Saffire 24 DSP for a Pro 40, otherwise I would took the ocotpre for sure.
5 min ago, I did a test with the Saffire 24 as Interface(also no world clock), sending world clock through ADAT to my Saffire 56(Stand alone).
I run a test tone generator with a sinus wave and recorded a input from the 24 DSP and one from the Saffire. Worked out really good, perfect in phase.
I think this would also work when I do the trade and send the word clock signal trhough ADAT to the Pro 40.

Other opinions?

Saffire Pro will work fine. As you said set it to sync via the ADAT input and it'll work no problem. As far as I'm aware the Saffire has the same preamps as the Octopre anyway.