I really like my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40

ParsonsMatt

Alas, Tyranny
Nov 15, 2006
Athens, GA
www.myspace.com
I had an RME Fireface 400 for a really long time. I bought it as an upgrade from my Presonus Firestudio Project, and HOLY CRAP did it sound a shitload better. The difference was immediately noticeable... Both in recording quality and in quality of music being played through it. The RME Fireface worked fucking awesome, with extremely low latency and high stability. For what it is, it completely ruled.

However, "what it is" isn't an 8 input interface capable of drum recordings. And damn it, I want to record live drums. So I started looking at interface options that would allow me to record live drums, fully expecting to need to downgrade. I at first planned on getting the M-Audio Profire 2626, but after careful consideration of the specs and reviews, I decided to get the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 instead. soundonsound.com rates the Saffire as being slightly better.

Well, at $350 for a b-stock new one, I'm not arguing!

Here's what I need out of my audio interface:

Very stable low latency performance. As I am sure most of you know, I use VST amp sims for my guitar sound, both live and on record. So its important for me to have as little latency as possible, and to not have any skips, pops, or crashes in the middle of rehearsal, recording, shows, etc. So far the Saffire has performed flawlessly in this regard. I was at first experiencing problems with my laptop, but disabling the wireless card these problems were resolved.

The RME was slightly more stable and capable of slightly lower latencies, but we're talking about 3ms with the RME and 4-5ms with the Saffire.

Sound Quality. And you know what? I can't tell any difference from the Saffire to the RME. I'm sure the RME sounds better, but I can't tell. Mic preamps have less gain than the preamps on the RME but they don't sound any worse, and recording vocals with my SM7b works out just fine.

I haven't personally done this experiment, but a friend also got the Saffire Pro 40, and tested the instrument inputs against his Countryman DI. And they sounded identical.

Lots of inputs/outputs. The Saffire has 8 mic/line inputs, two on the front (which double as instrument inputs), 8 line outputs, and ADAT in/out for additional preamps or using the Saffire as a standalone preamp into some other interface.

Ease of use. The Saffire really excels here. The routing matrix is easy to figure out and pretty damn powerful for 0 latency recording. And the monitor volume knob with the pad and mute switch is SO useful. Two headphone outs with independent volume knobs kicks ass. And having two inputs on the front and the rest in the back is the perfect compromise.

I recorded a band last weekend and the results were pretty damn good... and I've barely mixed it at all!

36189_10150220472050381_528925380_13286503_3008004_n.jpg

On location FTL :lol

36764_10150220472055381_528925380_13286504_7526506_n.jpg

Shitty drumkits FTL*10000!!!

Bass+Drums Clip: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1161830/Choking Victimish.mp3 There will be guitars and vocals, and it is a punk band, and its the product of about 30 minutes of mixing, adjust volume, choosing samples, tweaking, etc... So bear all that in mind as you listen.

Pair of SM81 for overheads, Audix i5 on snare, EV PL80a on toms, Shure SM7b on kick. Bass is a stock P-bass with brand new D'Addario strings DI, with LeXTAC and a few impulses. Drums have sample augmentation, about 80/20 sample/real on kick, 30/70 on snare, and 50/50 on toms.

I'm completely happy about my purchase and "downgrade", and I would recommend anyone looking into recording purchase a similar unit.

Sound Quality. And you know what? I can't tell any difference from the Saffire to the RME. I'm sure the RME sounds better, but I can't tell.

Man, this is a huge problem in the audio world today. People assuming certain things are supposed to sound better, and saying they do even though they can't tell the difference. :lol:

Facetiousness aside, I'm glad things are working out. I love my Liquid Saffire 56

Also love my Pro 40 - I just find it annoying that everytime I boot my computer I have to re-set the latency settings from "very long" to "short" from the mixcontrol software. Focusrite says they're aware of this problem but haven't been able to fix it I guess. Haven't checked for updates recently though, I'll do that now.

edit. fuck yeah, looks I've been out of date

Man, this is a huge problem in the audio world today. People assuming certain things are supposed to sound better, and saying they do even though they can't tell the difference. :lol:

Facetiousness aside, I'm glad things are working out. I love my Liquid Saffire 56

Hey man! since you mention it; i have been looking at that unit for my band to record drums but then i looked it up on musicians friend and clicked on reviews (placed after "description" and "specs"), and man take a look at the reviews!:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Focusrite-Liquid-Saffire-56?sku=581707

:eek: whats your opinion on what theyre saying?

Thanks!

Yuck, people still listen to CV past 16? :p

Anyways, I've been thinking about the 40 myself, and all these positive reviews are making me want it even more! Thanks for the review.

Hey man! since you mention it; i have been looking at that unit for my band to record drums but then i looked it up on musicians friend and clicked on reviews (placed after "description" and "specs"), and man take a look at the reviews!:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Focusrite-Liquid-Saffire-56?sku=581707

:eek: whats your opinion on what theyre saying?

Thanks!
Very, very strange.

The Liquid Saffire 56 is the most stable interface I've owned. My Alesis io26 on XP had all sorts of driver issues. My M-Audio Profire 2626 had BSOD after BSOD on XP and now on Windows 7. My LS56 worked fine. I'm now on a mac and have no issues with the LS56. The preamp emulations have subtle differences, but I love having them. And I really love the harmonics dial to add a tiny bit of distortion. Each channel has a HPF and phantom power. I don't have driver issues, and the MixControl software performs exactly as expected. Those reviews are bizarre and/or trolls. Focusrite has been absolutely fantastic answering my ridiculous and sometimes complex questions.

The only thing that could improve the interface is adding an option to bypass the preamps on the line inputs. The only other thing would be adding pads on more than just channels 3 and 4, but this is not a big deal to me.

Also, there's plenty of preamp gain. This is not an abnormal interface. It has 60dB of gain as far as I'm aware, which is more than both my Alesis and M-Audio have.

I hope this helps. It's just extremely nice to finally have an interface I don't have to think about

A lot of love for my Saffire Pro 40 over here as well. I've tried it on a number of pc's and laptops and it never really let me down.

One quick questions to the Saffire Pro 40 owners: How do you guys route your tracks for reamping? I haven't found a way to send the DI track to a specific, without having to disable all other tracks. Do you send it to a output of your DAW and then send the DAW output to an output of the Saffire pro 40 using the MixControl?

Very, very strange.

The Liquid Saffire 56 is the most stable interface I've owned. My Alesis io26 on XP had all sorts of driver issues. My M-Audio Profire 2626 had BSOD after BSOD on XP and now on Windows 7. My LS56 worked fine. I'm now on a mac and have no issues with the LS56. The preamp emulations have subtle differences, but I love having them. And I really love the harmonics dial to add a tiny bit of distortion. Each channel has a HPF and phantom power. I don't have driver issues, and the MixControl software performs exactly as expected. Those reviews are bizarre and/or trolls. Focusrite has been absolutely fantastic answering my ridiculous and sometimes complex questions.

The only thing that could improve the interface is adding an option to bypass the preamps on the line inputs. The only other thing would be adding pads on more than just channels 3 and 4, but this is not a big deal to me.

Also, there's plenty of preamp gain. This is not an abnormal interface. It has 60dB of gain as far as I'm aware, which is more than both my Alesis and M-Audio have.

I hope this helps. It's just extremely nice to finally have an interface I don't have to think about

Very very helpful. Thanks a lot melodeath!!

Im releived to hear that. I was considering getting a couple of these units for recording my band's drums. I figured if a single channel 500 series of API which though is great for drums, will cost me 750 dollars and you need quite a few, then its definetelly something out of our budget. A couple of thousands on the other hand for two FS56 can be managed if we sell what we have.

Of course the only other option is record the drums in the studio with these 500 pres but im not sure which is the best option; still looking into it.

Thanks a lot man!

A lot of love for my Saffire Pro 40 over here as well. I've tried it on a number of pc's and laptops and it never really let me down.

One quick questions to the Saffire Pro 40 owners: How do you guys route your tracks for reamping? I haven't found a way to send the DI track to a specific, without having to disable all other tracks. Do you send it to a output of your DAW and then send the DAW output to an output of the Saffire pro 40 using the MixControl?

I don't know any other DAW would do it, but Reaper's own routing matrix takes care of this. You can assign any track to have any hardware out you want.

I don't know any other DAW would do it, but Reaper's own routing matrix takes care of this. You can assign any track to have any hardware out you want.

Thanks Matt. I'm using Reaper too and tried it that way. I still need to mute all other tracks to prevent them from going through the amp. Guess I'll need to try some more. Thanks for the help mate!

Thanks Matt. I'm using Reaper too and tried it that way. I still need to mute all other tracks to prevent them from going through the amp. Guess I'll need to try some more. Thanks for the help mate!

Interesting! I'll have to look at the output settings myself, though it seems to me that it -should- work like that.