Scarlett 6i6 distorting input problem

viralz

Feb 15, 2010
Montreal, QC
Ok so I'm trying to get the best possible DI signal from my guitar using the HI-Z input of the scarlett. The thing is I'm getting somekind of distortion when I'm playing but all my meters are in the green. Nothing indicates that the signal is clipping. Tried different instruments, same result.

Here is the interface setup:

-10 db pad activated
Input gain knob set at 45%
Input LED stays green
Input level shows -1db in DAW (doesn't clip)

When I backoff the gain knob to zero the distortion almost completely disappear. But then the meters in my DAW indicates -10db and the DI signal loses alot of its snappiness and clarity.

If nothing is clipping, why is it distorting?

Here is an example of the problem using a guitar with EMG 57 bridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
-1 is way too hot IMO.

The Scarletts don't have much headroom as DIs. When using the interface DIs I always have PAD on and gain knob on 0, otherwise it can clip with hot passive guitars and palm muting. I usually leave it in the same place all the time just because it makes overdubbing easier at a later date.

I have the 2i4 and 18i20, the 2i4 has less headroom than the 18i20. I recently bought a Palmer PAN 02 which both sounds better with passive sources (IMO) and gives the potential for more headroom. I didn't really notice much difference when I quickly tested with EMG81 so might not make any noticeable tonal difference with actives.

EMGs clip when set close but that sounds way OTT. Are your pickups very high? Very high EMGs + no headroom left on interface DI might sound like that. Firstly try backing off on gain. If you've still got a little distortion left after backing off on the DI that might be pickup height/internal clipping. So next step would be lower pickup height to see if it clears it up.

Some samples of EMG 57 vs 81 shows higher internal clipping of 57.

Yes the 57 is considerably hotter than the 81. But the soundcloud clip is quite distorted on the plain strings too, beyond what I've experienced. Either it is up super high or it is a combination of factors.

Yes I'm well aware of the internal clipping in EMGs pickups. I set them up as close to the strings as possible because that is what they suggest doing.

So I'm guessing the pickups clipping combined with the interface certain lack of headroom could be causing this.

I'll try lowering the pickup and aim for -3db in the DAW.