Scarlett 2i2 input too hot? line recording for guitars ok?

hoehlentroll

Mar 15, 2007
Mannheim, Germany
I'm using emg81 on my guitars and with my focusrite scarlett interface I get a clipping signal even with the gain turned all the way down. when changing the input from instrument to line, everything is fine. is instrument recording better than line recording for guitar tracking?

Haha the same style thread has been posted at least two times in the recent few weeks :lol:
But I'm guessing you'll be fine with the "line" input if it doesn't clip you.

Yeah, that Scarlett doesn't have much headroom, so use the line input (the line level signal is much stronger from the instrument level signal), especially since you have EMG, so you won't have much signal degradation. Even with passive pickups it won't sound totally bad. I know that because sometimes I forget to switch to instrument input in my Saffire's MixControl software, and it doesn't sound that bad, it's usable for practice but you have to crank the input gain (I have Duncan Distortion). With EMG that difference is a lot smaller, 'cause they don't need that high HiZ input.

There is 4.6 db less level (from theoretical standpoint) when 81 with single volume (without tone) is used into line (10k) input rather than 1M, frequency response is almost the same, unlike passive pickups.

"does not sound that bad", doesn't sound that good ;)
what's the difference soundwise between line and intrument? I know it#s a different electric resistance. but will it be a usable tone for recording? would you get the 2i4 instead?

You get what you pay for. Since you have Emg it will be usable. It's not a proper way to do it for sure, but you can get by. 2i4 would be better of course. Actually my friend has bought one recently, and he's using it to record a DiMarzio Evolution equipped guitar, which is rather hot. He doesn't have any clipping problems, actually there is no need to engage the -10dB pad. Imo 2i2 is really handy for practising and quick demos, and it looks awesome. Wouldn't use it for any serious recordings though, but to be fair it's not designed with that in mind.

Really!?!?

The 2i4 is the EXACT same thing with pads and some extra outputs. The 2i4 clips without the pads just the same as the 2i2. Anyway... a quick google search reveals the issue.

"scarlett 2i2 clipping" yields over a page of google links.

Frequency response of 81 output network (with standard 25k volume and tone) into different input impedance:
81_Line_vs_HiZ.png

Difference:
81_response_difference.png

that means it sounds louder with hi-z or what?
If Hi-Z and Line level both have the same maximum input level. In case of 2i2, line input have larger ceiling, so effect can be cumulative. If you wire 10k resistor parallel to Hi-Z (maybe in plug) you will have mentioned level reduction.

I dont want to be an ass! and derail the thread but my question could fit here, because you guys are talking about this pre and since I am thinking in acquire one of these in the future.

My question is, it´s worth switch from a toneport ux2 to a scarlett 2i2 or 2i4?
Since we are talking about low end pres, I´ve been thinking that probably the difference between this 2 pres wouldnt be quite significative, but I wont mind hearing someone that has more experience with these kind of pres. Thanks.

I`m myself recomend, when talking about budget interfaces, AVID Fast Track Solo/Duo, because of similar level converters and Hi-Z maximum input of +15 dbV i.e. +17.2 dbu, which is more than 2i4 with PAD :)
Same shit, just more input level. Unlike Line 6 interfaces they have less high-pass filtering.

Thanks for the feedback deLuther. I read somewhere more than one time that M-audio fast track interfaces had some kind of issues about drivers and compatibility. So I never considered one to buy but since this seems like a new one, I might have to take a look.

I`m slightly wrong, converters on scarletts is better (cs4272), but overall result can be on similar level, input levels are higher on AVID units.

i'm very happy with my 2i4 scarlett. the sound is very nice. very clear and no unwanted distortion or grit. steinerg came up with the ur22 which has very good reviews and is also 50€ cheaper