Roland Quad capture vs Line 6 UX2

Ludo95

New Metal Member
Dec 26, 2013
Hey, what do you think is the better choice to record electric guitar between the Quad capture and the Line 6 UX2? I have a macbook 13'' with 4Gb RAM 2Ghz.
One of my guitars has EMG 81-85 and the other one Duncan Invaders so, to avoid clipping problems, I don't wanna buy the Focusrite scarlett 2i2 and the saffire and now I'm undecided between those two audio interfaces I mentioned.
( I cannot use the scarlett 2i4 as it requires at least Mac os X Lion 1.7 and I have Snow Leopard 1.6.8)

:p :p

Hey, what do you think is the better choice to record electric guitar between the Quad capture and the Line 6 UX2? I have a macbook 13'' with 4Gb RAM 2Ghz.
One of my guitars has EMG 81-85 and the other one Duncan Invaders so, to avoid clipping problems, I don't wanna buy the Focusrite scarlett 2i2 and the saffire and now I'm undecided between those two audio interfaces I mentioned.
( I cannot use the scarlett 2i4 as it requires at least Mac os X Lion 1.7 and I have Snow Leopard 1.6.8)

:p :p

I have had both and what will you be using for guitars if you went with the Roland? I use the Axe Fx Ultra and it sounds sick through it, the pres are actually pre round sounding and not at all harsh and thin like those others listed. With the headroom for clipping mine will give out around -3db (with the faders in PT) which coming from say my axe rhythm patch IS FUCKING LOUD, the pre sends on about 40%.

I have had both and what will you be using for guitars if you went with the Roland? I use the Axe Fx Ultra and it sounds sick through it, the pres are actually pre round sounding and not at all harsh and thin like those others listed. With the headroom for clipping mine will give out around -3db (with the faders in PT) which coming from say my axe rhythm patch IS FUCKING LOUD, the pre sends on about 40%.

I would use it now to play through Pod Farm/Overloud Th2 and for the future when I 'll mic amps.
Do you you I can get a better sounds with the UX2 or the Roland to play through Overloud Th2/Pod Farm etc...?
I read that some people who had the Pod studio GX /Ux1 upgrade them to the Quad capture so I wanna buy the right product at the first attempt
:p

The Line6 interfaces have been around forever and have not been updated/revised since release, save for a repackaging of same electronics in new plastic color schemes (oh how I love that money milking tactic). I have had myriad problems with my Toneport KB37 (which is the same as a UX2 + a MIDI keyboard). I would not recommend it to an enemy let alone a friend. The instrument in has no level control, thus any tracking of guitars direct will necessitate a good DI Box, since the instrument in as it is set will result in really poor SNR. The mic pres are too weak to record vocals with an SM7B. All in all a rather craptastic piece of gear.

The Line6 interfaces have been around forever and have not been updated/revised since release, save for a repackaging of same electronics in new plastic color schemes (oh how I love that money milking tactic). I have had myriad problems with my Toneport KB37 (which is the same as a UX2 + a MIDI keyboard). I would not recommend it to an enemy let alone a friend. The instrument in has no level control, thus any tracking of guitars direct will necessitate a good DI Box, since the instrument in as it is set will result in really poor SNR. The mic pres are too weak to record vocals with an SM7B. All in all a rather craptastic piece of gear.

If you use POD Farm (which is included with the UX2) and bypass the amp, it has a mixer that you can use to modify levels. That's obviously after it hits the computer, but I have an HD Pro with a db pad and honestly, the difference is pretty miniscule unless you're using insanely loud pickups. In this case, unfortunately, the Invaders might qualify. The mic pres never seemed that bad to me, though.

That said, I don't doubt that the Roland is probably a far better piece of equipment, and if you have the money it would be a better purchase.

Intentional engineering there. It is a software control of input level, made so the interfaces only work with POD Farm and nothing but. Horrible business practice.

If your computer has the FireWire port needed, I would suggest you to buy the Roland FA-66 instead of the Quad Capture. Actually, the "Edirol" version of the FA-66 (Made in Japan) because the new ones are under "Roland Cakewalk". You can find it on Ebay for about the same price the Quad sells at some places. They sell it 350$ downtown but I've seen it 150$ on the net. It's a little more flexible for a small unit.