Countryman Type 85 vs Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 Instrument Input (test inside)

texisthebest

Dec 23, 2009
My cave
Hi guys, I have done this test:

A) Countryman Type 85 + Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (Line input) (peak -6dBs)
B) Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (Instrument input, PAD on) (peak -3.6dBs)

The guitar is a Ibanez 321 MH.
Bridge pickup: Seymour Duncan Blackouts Metal AHB-2

DI's only A/B test playing the same riff two times first with Type 85 and then only 6i6

The same with Ampsims (TSE 47+ Roxolder JCM800 + TPA-1 + Ownhammer Cabs)

I've done the best I could playing the same thing twice but there may be differences. What do you prefer?

Why are there so many differences in waveform? Pink is Countryman.

I have realise that the Countryman part is peaking at -6dB while the 6i6 is peaking at -3.4dB.
Why? Because I play all the strings hard and push the gain in scarlett until the max peak was about -3dBs.
In the two cases but the countryman seems to have more dynamics and peaks at -6dB when I play only the 3 low strings of my guitar.
Anyway... what do you think? There are many benefits using a countryman?

599ed62b157a235c69da3dbf210f0cf2o.jpg

For make a little best comparison I have raise the envelope volume so that both DIs are peak in the same levels playing the same.

Here the new DIs (level matched)
Here the same with Ampsims

c0d2557e84066d0809093986e1fb9cdeo.jpg

Not the best choise of pickup for Hi-Z test :)
Too much distortion in both cases, 6i6 have even larger distortion.

There is clearly a "distortion" happening on the 2nd DI. Distortion tends to have a natural compression that happens. And I can see the compression on the image without even listening. Also your second question about gain is a bit of a mixed book when tracking guitars because i find certain amp sims prefer different input signals. If you are recording 24bit a general rule of thumb is to shoot for -18rms. No rules here but it's "safe".

There is clearly a "distortion" happening on the 2nd DI. Distortion tends to have a natural compression that happens. And I can see the compression on the image without even listening. Also your second question about gain is a bit of a mixed book when tracking guitars because i find certain amp sims prefer different input signals. If you are recording 24bit a general rule of thumb is to shoot for -18rms. No rules here but it's "safe".

Thanks for your answer, I agree with the compression, thats why I upload this image, I just wanted to know your opinions, I am still learning about audio.

I use "safe" levels (-18dBFS) when recording vocals but recording DI guitars I was not sure because of this: "guitar's signal is peaking at about -3 to -4dB"
(Glenn Fricker guide http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/f-o-h/290714-preparing-your-tracks-reamping-guide.html )

Anyway I will try more options, I supose it depends in the source and there isn't a magic recipe.

Guitars peaking at -3/-4 dbFS can have lower RMS than -18 db, sometimes not, especially in case of active pickup at 9 V with heavy internal clipping.
It seems that Countryman can handle 707, while 6i6 can not.

Guitars peaking at -3/-4 dbFS can have lower RMS than -18 db, sometimes not, especially in case of active pickup at 9 V with heavy internal clipping.
It seems that Countryman can handle 707, while 6i6 can not.

Yeah, prevent high peaks and -18RMS will be my way to go, thanks for your answers.

It was a problem of Gain Staging: with less gain in the 6i6 It works better.
Sorry for this big images, for being so stupid and thank you for your anwers :D