Help! Odd clipping / bad sound - 6505+ 112 DI, impulses, need advice

cboysen

Feb 29, 2012
Hi, sorry if this is the wrong forum (maybe it should've been in the gear section?), but I really need your help on this one.
I've been picking my brain for a few days and just can't get my head around it! :confused:

I got into recording my 6505+ 112 directly, with a koch LB120ii a few weeks ago, but no matter how I tweak the amp, or what impulse I use, I get this 'odd' clipping around 4-6khz, presumably at the preamp stage.

I don't know whether this is the amp design, or something I'm doing wrong (hopefully this!), but could someone please take a listen to my sloppy recording:

The first being without impulse, the second with a 5150-Sheffield1200s-SM57-CapEdge-2in.wav impulse from Red Wire

And compare it to this guy's tube-rolling clip(s):
Peavey 6505+ preamp tubes shootout - Ultimate Metal Forum - I think the impulse I used, resembled this sound the best / least worst

The clipping, or whatever I should call it, is what you hear most clearly at the long chords, especially the last fade out, where this noise stays rather loud nearly throughout the end. Of course the recording is not double-tracked or tweaked in any kind of way, so it is quite thin, but I think I'd just be blurring things up if I did.

Also, this extra clipping/fizz makes the whole gain-structure extremely uneven, and thus the general track quite unclear / muddy / cheap / bad I think. As the odd clipping is even more present without an impulse, I believe there is something going on before the DAW, but really not sure.

The tube-rolling clips, got a very pronounced pick attack and nicely rounded sound, without too much or too little fizz, a very "in your face"-sound with, a very beautiful and even gain structure (imo). The sound isn't boxy (like mine tend to be) nor is it unclear or muddy (okay, admittedly, my tone is utter **** .. but why? :( ) . Of course this guy uses a mic and the bigger 6505+, which could be the whole reason, but for the little I know about impulses and direct recording; it shouldn't make such a vast difference in both sound and gain-structure!?

Oh and for what it's worth, my setup is as following:
Guitar (Emg 81) > TS808 > Decimator G string > 6505+ 112 (post 6, high 7, mid 7, low 8, pre 3, pres 4, res 6) > Koch LB120ii line out > Scarlett 2i2 line in > Reaper > LeCab

Thanks in advance!
Kind regards, Christian

Last edited by a moderator:
If your post is really at 6 then knock it down a bit. The Peavey doesn't bloom past a certain point, it gets thin and pointy sounding.

I also hear some room sound in the recording.

If your post is really at 6 then knock it down a bit. The Peavey doesn't bloom past a certain point, it gets thin and pointy sounding.

I also hear some room sound in the recording.

I'll try that! -

When do you notice the room/ambience? At the first or second half?, the second half is with loader, and thus the impulse might have picked up a bit of ambience? I'm really no techie, and I've read a fair amount on the subject of recording the past few weeks, but really - nothing explains this or anything like it afair.

Will begin the recording with the post turned down a bit, getting right back asap! - I really hope that I'll be able to get in the ballpark of something decent, otherwise I'll be thinking about isolation boxes and new amps, which is just the last thing I wanna spent my money on. Gear really can't buy skill, only amplify the existing.

Christian

I don't know, there shouldn't be any room sound seeing as how it is a line out, but on the impulse track I hear some destructive cancellation throughout the tone. I've used a few impulses before and never had this happen, that's just what it sounds like to me, like when someone mics up their cab next to a wall or corner and the tone gets fucked up.

I don't know, there shouldn't be any room sound seeing as how it is a line out, but on the impulse track I hear some destructive cancellation throughout the tone. I've used a few impulses before and never had this happen, that's just what it sounds like to me, like when someone mics up their cab next to a wall or corner and the tone gets fucked up.

Well It seems to be happening on all the impulses or so, and really - I paid for those Red wire impulse, after several recommendations - oh well that's an entire different matter, so nvm that.

I swapped around my noise gate and boost pedal, I saw reason to boost the signal and afterwards reduce the noise, it's a tad more clear now, but still with this odd things going on - I'll get back to posting crappy clips asap...

Christian