Help! 6505+ 112 odd clipping-ish distortion on recordings?

I too have a 6505+ 1x12 and I think I know what's up. Its very tempting to turn that res knob all the way up, it produces what SOUNDS like a gratifying tone, especially by itself. A few things are at work here. This amp is strange in that if you have something in the fx loop, it changes the gain and sound a little bit, giving things what I can only describe as more of a high end sizzle type of characteristic. Couple that with the res knob being turned all the way up, and I think you have your culprit. I gig with mine regularly, my other guitar player plays a shit ass line 6 spider iv stack, and when I turn the res knob all the way up it makes my amp more like his; trebly, too much presence, sounds cool alone and shit in a mix. I would say back off the res knob until you hear that saturation fading out, and then play with nothing in the fx loop. Are you playing on the lead or crunch channel? If you have a ts I would recommend using that on the green crunch channel, if set properly you should attain the classic 5150/6505 sounds you hear around here. Hope this is of some use to you, good luck man!

I too have a 6505+ 1x12 and I think I know what's up. Its very tempting to turn that res knob all the way up, it produces what SOUNDS like a gratifying tone, especially by itself. A few things are at work here. This amp is strange in that if you have something in the fx loop, it changes the gain and sound a little bit, giving things what I can only describe as more of a high end sizzle type of characteristic. Couple that with the res knob being turned all the way up, and I think you have your culprit. I gig with mine regularly, my other guitar player plays a shit ass line 6 spider iv stack, and when I turn the res knob all the way up it makes my amp more like his; trebly, too much presence, sounds cool alone and shit in a mix. I would say back off the res knob until you hear that saturation fading out, and then play with nothing in the fx loop. Are you playing on the lead or crunch channel? If you have a ts I would recommend using that on the green crunch channel, if set properly you should attain the classic 5150/6505 sounds you hear around here. Hope this is of some use to you, good luck man!

It's very correct that the 6505+ 112 has a buffered FX loop, like the Valve king, which boosts the treble quite a bit. Problem is that I really need my FX Loop for my decimator G-string to work. To get a cutting and 'present' guitar tone, I need to crank that pres. knob - since it's only at 8-10 it really opens up. I don't see why the res. knob would have any say in this, since that's a high-lows boost if I remember correctly.

It even came to a point where I bought a 6505+, but only to realize that the tone wasn't all that different, at least not something I was willing to pay 1100 euro for.

I'll try to play around with the green channel this evening just to see what I can get out of it. The biggest problem I got with the amp is actually that it sounds too muffled. I have a little idea that it's an impedance mismatch somewhere - but I'm not sure. I'm going direct from a Koch Loadbox with a line level to a line level of the audio interface (scarlett 2i2)

This weekend I'll try to swap all those multicolored patch cables and the one going to the scarlett (also some s***ty cable), with some DIY klotz La Grange (ac110) cables, and hope it will sound better that way.

Thanks for the advice though
I'll keep you updated on the results if I get any further

Kind regards
Christian

One thing... could this be the so-called 'cross-over' distortion?

The 6505+ as supposedly biased quite cold, but the 6505+ combo is said to be biased alright .. ?

Edit: apparently some guy measured his 6505+ 112 to be biased around 19mA .. if this is the case with mine - Should I try to figure out how to bias it, even though it's fixed?

Edit again: Seems like the guys at the Peavey forum advice against it, since it'll just mush up if you try to.

Thoughts?

Are you using the line out on the Koch? Use the direct out instead.

EDIT: That is only the Loadbox II that has that. the line out has cabinet and mic simulation, that is why everything is so dark, you are adding insult to injury by jacking the presence all the way up.

Are you using the line out on the Koch? Use the direct out instead.

EDIT: That is only the Loadbox II that has that. the line out has cabinet and mic simulation, that is why everything is so dark, you are adding insult to injury by jacking the presence all the way up.

My bad - I -am- using the direct out, but the direct out is a line level signal ;)

.. tried to record some stuff .. utterly failed though - Used some drum samples and pitch shifted my guitar to make some 'bass'

This is the unprocessed recording

This is the processed mix

.. I got a long way to go before it's any usable.. I hope to one day get something along the lines of

hmm.. seems like I pushed that bass-stuff a bit too far

- Christian

edit: oh and sorry for the imensely bad guitarplaying, I rather wanted to spend time on sound:saint:

Last edited by a moderator:
perhaps its the interface? I had the scarlett and I had the same problem with my 6505.

really??

Can you elaborate and describe the problem? What did you experience?
I just want to make sure it's the same 'problem' we are talking about?

Kind regards
Christian

I ended up getting a komplete audio 6 because it has a 1 mohm input for guitar. I was tired of the scarlett clipping everything. I don't know for sure if it was the scarlet, but I don't have a loadbox anymore so I have no way of testing it on the komplete audio 6 as of yet...

HMm okay! - I guess I just have to try out another audio interface and see if it solves the problem

I ended up getting a komplete audio 6 because it has a 1 mohm input for guitar. I was tired of the scarlett clipping everything. I don't know for sure if it was the scarlet, but I don't have a loadbox anymore so I have no way of testing it on the komplete audio 6 as of yet...

EDIT: if you're able to fire up your amp at home, could you try to take the FX send of the amp to the audio interface and see if the problem occurs?

- Chrisitan