FS: 1971 Les Paul recording

kev

Im guybrush threepwood
Jun 16, 2004
Bristol, United Kingdom
www.myspace.com
Hi guys,

One of my friends has given me a 1971 Gibson les paul recording to sell. I thought i'd ask around just in case anybody was interested.

If anybody is, I will sort some pics out.

1-034-034245-Gibson-Les-Paul-Recording.jpg

Yeah the man himself preferred his LP Personal and Recording above all other axes.

They might be butt-ugly and due to their electronics not the best choice for distorted tones, but of great quality and - as with everything Les was involved with - years ahead of the competition.

The timing of these guitars was very unlucky though and that's why they commercially failed hard (just few years of production and little numbers).

Most people see this guitar and think the pick-ups are some P90 derivative, but it's quite the opposite. They're low-impedance pick-ups designed by Les personally, meant to be run directly into a board/to tape.

In combination with the filters this gives you very flexible clean and slightly overdriven tones. Additionally, long cable-length won't kill your high-end.

For being able to use the Recording with a normal guitar amp, they put a selectable impedance transformer into it. The Personal didn't even have one..

But even with the impedance transformer, these pick-ups perform considerably different than your normal Hi-Z passives.

When the Recording was released, people started to strive for the tones of Hendrix, The Who, Zeppelin, Sabbath etc. For that, you needed powerful passives to ride the input of the low-gained amps as hard as possible. So the Recording went against the trend...

@ Kev: Would be cool if you're buddy could give at least somewhat of idea of what he's aiming at.

I'll offer 250€ because it's so fucking ugly.

:lol: I really cant say I disagree Anssii

Mr vanyoung.... it's a difficult one actually due to the valuation being $1500-2000. I do know they were £700 in 71' (and thats way back then).. I also know he wants to shift it quite quick, i suspect he would be happy for around the £1k mark.