FTFD mix with a twist

JustinShreds

intuit Studios
Apr 21, 2012
San Diego, CA
So it's not FTFD, but it's a band I recorded who kinda have a similar style to them. Just wondering what your guys' thoughts are on this mix since this is my first time posting a 'Rate My Mix!' type of deal.

Constructive criticism please :cool:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20400847/Song 5_Mastered.mp3

And this was just pre-pro for them, hence there being no vocals or tons of quantizing with guitars and such.
The end isn't finished either.

Not bad for pre-pro. A couple things right off the bat - the guitars sound just a bit undergained and have a lot of low-mids going on that give them a very impulse-driven sound, could be cut out. Let the nastiness of that bass guitar shine through. Those 808s are causing a noticeable bit of distortion. The drums are a bit thin and lifeless and also sound like there are some low-mids that could be cut out.

Not bad for pre-pro. A couple things right off the bat - the guitars sound just a bit undergained and have a lot of low-mids going on that give them a very impulse-driven sound, could be cut out. Let the nastiness of that bass guitar shine through. Those 808s are causing a noticeable bit of distortion. The drums are a bit thin and lifeless and also sound like there are some low-mids that could be cut out.

I cut out lots of mids with the guitars in certain frequencies, but boosted slightly around the 200Hz area for more body. Any specific frequency you think that should be cut in the low-mid range to help it out? And the weird thing is that the bass sounds extremely dirty when solo'd. You hear the clank and the warm, beefy tone, but in the mix, it gets kinda hidden. I've tried boosting and cutting certain frequencies to help give it more room, but it doesn't seem to be working. Totally agree on the drums. I only have the .wav files of SSD and my drum program seems to kill the quality, even when at 24-bit and 44100. I appreciated the advice, I'll have to go back in to my mix and try to fix.

I cut out lots of mids with the guitars in certain frequencies, but boosted slightly around the 200Hz area for more body. Any specific frequency you think that should be cut in the low-mid range to help it out? And the weird thing is that the bass sounds extremely dirty when solo'd. You hear the clank and the warm, beefy tone, but in the mix, it gets kinda hidden. I've tried boosting and cutting certain frequencies to help give it more room, but it doesn't seem to be working. Totally agree on the drums. I only have the .wav files of SSD and my drum program seems to kill the quality, even when at 24-bit and 44100. I appreciated the advice, I'll have to go back in to my mix and try to fix.

Start with cutting some 200-250 hz out of the guitars, in addition to whatever lo-pass you may running. By the way I noticed you're from san diego, I moved from SD to oregon last year. 858 represent