20 second cover. I NEED input.

ArroldW

Sound Engineer/Producer
Dec 22, 2010
San Diego
www.myspace.com
So on the forum someone was talking about how they wanted to have guitars that sounded like FTFD and whatnot. Here was the post:

My problem is that I CANNOT get a decent guitar tone to save my life. I use Amplitube Metal in Logic Pro 9 with a Line 6 GX (I know, it's EXTREMELY shitty). I've looked around for ages for tips on preset settings and EQ settings and compression settings, but I can just never get a full sound. It's very fuzzy and weak and muddy. I know the GX is a terribad audio interface, and it could be the reason why my guitars sound so shitty, but if not, I'm stuck as to how to beef up my tone. I'm looking for a sound SIMILAR TO (not asking for the indentical tone) the self-titled Attack Attack! album, FTFD Relentless album, etc. Just a tone that really booms on the open hits and has clear chugs. This guy has essentially what I'm looking for
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22148395/mostproducedbreakdownever.mp3

The clip is the actual breakdown I covered. No idea who wrote it and I love the glitchy effect. [sound a LOT like a Woe is me breakdown, or something we came as romans would do]. Anyways, i wanted to try out the glitchy effect for myself so I decided to do a cover. I need input on the mix.

http://db.tt/cJIj8vU

Guitars - POD
Bass - Sansamp
Drum Shells - Slate [snare is Joey Snare]
Cymbals - Shoulder city

Sounds good dude, I remember the original clip someone posted "most produced breakdown ever". How exactly does one get that reverse snare effect, I love it so much.

If I had to have one complaint, the 'POD-ness' of the guitar just really stuck out. Sounded very good, and you're probably going for that tone, but just unnatural.

yeah, for most of my productions I want [and push for] for the natural sound BUT for this clip I feel like it was okay to use more of the tact with. haha now, what snare hit are you talking about?

yeah, for most of my productions I want [and push for] for the natural sound BUT for this clip I feel like it was okay to use more of the tact with. haha now, what snare hit are you talking about?

I don't think reverse snare is the right term then, maybe thats why I couldnt find a good tutorial, that building up woosssh sound...

for the reverse snare, take the snare hit, add a massive amount of reverb, process it, reverse it, and add it right before your actual snare hit.
that's how I do it anyways. could also cut the actual hit out of the reversed snare so you just have the reverse reverb as well if you want

for the reverse snare, take the snare hit, add a massive amount of reverb, process it, reverse it, and add it right before your actual snare hit.
that's how I do it anyways. could also cut the actual hit out of the reversed snare so you just have the reverse reverb as well if you want

this is how I do them. I add tons of reverb to the snare, then render the one hit, and the reverse it and throw it before and actual hit. I apply similar processing for the "huge reverb snare hits" that you hear on a lot of breakdowns [the snare hit after the reverse snare hit in my cover].

Sounds rad dude, snare sounds too dry n a couple hits IMO, in parts where the snare is the focus and the guitars have stopped.Other than that, it sounds rad.

thanks man. And how could I make the snare less dry? I've been having that problem with the Joey Snare since I bought it. It's kinda like there is no sustain after the hit.

I bought a Pod UX2 for a replacement for my Ibanez TBX65R and I'm not disappointed. Though I am disappointed with podfarm. Just didn't get a tone I like. So I just switched to some free sims I love. However, I love your crispy sound. And I think it's fair to assume this is the famous Cali diamond plate?

I bought a Pod UX2 for a replacement for my Ibanez TBX65R and I'm not disappointed. Though I am disappointed with podfarm. Just didn't get a tone I like. So I just switched to some free sims I love. However, I love your crispy sound. And I think it's fair to assume this is the famous Cali diamond plate?

yes it is. I eq'd to hell and back though because by itself the tone sounds really plain.. Its still does and I recommend using Lecto and recabinent 3 for better sound, but I felt like something like this needed this type of tone.