Need another set of ears - INDUSTRY STANDARD VOLUME?

Did a quick little glitchy breakdown to test my mastering settings.

Does the volume sound industry-standard? I'm having a hard time comparing. Sorry if it's too short to judge.

I'm pretty new to producing music and reamping is the hardest part for me right now. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm, i mean... i suppose it's industry standard volume, but not quality. guitar tone is pretty rough IMO. i wish it was longer because i can't quite judge on the drums. but yea, volume wise it's fine, but you just need to work on the quality of the mix itself.

hmm, i mean... i suppose it's industry standard volume, but not quality. guitar tone is pretty rough IMO. i wish it was longer because i can't quite judge on the drums. but yea, volume wise it's fine, but you just need to work on the quality of the mix itself.

It's straight from my POD, didn't feel like EQ'ing or anything to make the tone better. I was just worried about the volume. But thanks for the feedback. :D

Dude I don't care if it's industry standard or not... That was the most violent shit I've ever heard. How did you get such an awesomely brutal sound? That shit sounded like a battle field

Dude I don't care if it's industry standard or not... That was the most violent shit I've ever heard. How did you get such an awesomely brutal sound? That shit sounded like a battle field

I don't get on here enough to know whether or not people are often sarcastic about -core music, but either way, I'll answer seriously. Haha.

It's not really any big deal. I have some pretty good drum samples on my hands, and the guitars are drop a. It's a pretty simple POD tone, also.

No I'm completely new myself. And I'm working with POD as well. I don't know how you got that sound, if it was the drum samples or the fact that you are actually one of the few who turns the cymbals up.

A good friend who's pretty swell at producing the best kick I've ever heard.
I've downloaded a couple of kicks from here. Even bought a Joey Sturgis kit. None of them were as good.

It's probably because the sample is post-EQ and has plenty of punch. I rather like the snare too.

If either of you guys can get me a clean-ish metal bass tone for POD Farm.
Unfortunately, I suck terribly at making tones. I've become OKAY at guitar, but I still suck with bass and really have no idea how to get what I'm looking for.

The kind of tone I'm looking for is like in this:

A pretty simple clean tone.
If UM delivers, I'd gladly give the kick sample. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't really use podfarm very often (not at all lately) but for that bass tone, i can come pretty close. first things first, you have to have a good bass with active pickups. that is a MUST. get the bass to sound decent while its still DI (adjust knobs and such to taste), then bring up podfarm. i think what i used to use on podfarm was the adam and eve head with the 8x10 cab. i don't remember what mic(s) i used. for a little bit of grit, maybe add a tube screamer. next, add compression to level out the bass notes (because the lows and highs will have very different decibel levels). next, i'd add TSE B.O.D. (bass overdrive). it's a free plugin from onQel (google them) and it adds some really nice tone/grit to the bass. next, eq it to taste (add a hump in the 75hz area if you don't have enough low end, and add a high shelf around 2k-3khz). i can't really tell you exactly how to eq bass, because i'm not there to hear what everything sounds like, so it's pretty much up to you. the last thing that i add (which you don't have to) is T-Racks 3's FM Broadcast preset w/o clipper and the limiter turned down a few db's. once again, i tweak these to taste, so not everyone's bass tone is gonna sound the same. i'm not even sure how this will sound with podfarm, since i've yet to use it for bass with everything else i mentioned. hope this helps man. peace

p.s. Viraemia rapes, but they can be a little repetitive. Killer musicians none the less though.

Like I said, didn't really do much with compression, EQ'ing, and most of that part of editing.. lol

Not that I know how to do all of that well enough, but to be fair, I didn't try. I just made this really quickly to try to get an idea of how to achieve commercial level volume.

Hey, it's kind of hard to tell if the loudness is okay since it's only such a short clip, but I must say that that shit is damn brutal, really loving the guitar tones and everything. I know you came here looking for advice, but could you tell me with what you recorded the guitars? And how do you do the glitchyness? Always been kind of interested in that stuff, but I didn't get further then dBlue Glitch. Anyway, nice mix.

Thanks. I know I'm still a big novice on this stuff, but I really love how it has a "brutal" air about it. Dunno how to describe it.

That shit sounded like a battle field

That explains it well ^
The china is mixed so that the initial ting is audible, but it kind of gets buried beneath the mix after that. So it sort of sounds like metal clashing. :D

And, the guitars are the simplest set up. It's in POD Farm 2.
Tube Screamer > Line 6 Treadplate > 4x12 Treadplate [57 off axis] > Console [minor tweaking] > 4 Band EQ [-1.7 dB dip around the 4 kHz area]

I did the glitchy stuff with dBlue Glitch. Though I didn't do it in the breakdown, I find that applying a few randomized glitches to any given piece of audio makes it seem REALLY bugged. And I like it a lot.

Ah okay, funny to see you use dBlue Glitch as well :p. Are these POD's worth it? I have always shunned them since I heard a Line 6 amp, but it seems like you're getting some pretty killer results, while I have a nice Engl Powerball, I don't have a good cab or mic to go with it (Yeah, I'm not really good at setting priorities), so perhaps a POD would be cheaper to fix myself some nice tones :p.