Need feedback on the black metal project *sigh*

the snare can get a little buried in parts, you've got the "smack" spot on around 200hz and it's a sweet sound, but perhaps a bit more crack would help it cut, maybe around 2 khz, perhaps higher. It's hard to tell in the mix what frequencies are needed once it's all together. A wide boost from 1.5khz to about 5khz would be my first guess.
Some automation is always good when you're dealing with blast beats, the fast snare dominates the mix (not neccesarily bad ofc, this is black metal ofc) wheras the slow snare is sortof gone before you knew it had started. I'd bring up the snare a little when it's slower and lower it a tad during extended blasting.

I really like this mix, it's got a great raw energy and life to it and it fits the music perfectly

EDITED, see above

EDIT again: I think that with some more crack in the snare, the automation would probably only be neccesary to bring down the blasts a bit

Good points, I was thinking that myself too actually. Ironically enough, I did adjust the snare volume a little bit, but I actually increased it on the blast parts, which I now agree was too much.

Some more crack and a little better volume distribution between blast and non-blast, and it should be better.

Thanks a ton dude!

it's all good, i'm enjoying having something new to listen to and analyse. The reason it's enjoyable is it's a good starting point, if something just generally sucks it's hard to explain to people what they should do except idk.........go back to square one and start again. But if it's a good starting point then it's really interesting to look into the mix and see what could be improved or tweaked.

Can't wait to hear the next sample

John

it's all good, i'm enjoying having something new to listen to and analyse. The reason it's enjoyable is it's a good starting point, if something just generally sucks it's hard to explain to people what they should do except idk.........go back to square one and start again. But if it's a good starting point then it's really interesting to look into the mix and see what could be improved or tweaked.

Can't wait to hear the next sample

John

I agree! Sometimes, someone posts a mix that just sounds like a mess and as you said, the best thing to do is just to start all over again. Luckily, I've learned enough from this forum to get past that stage so I can atleast get a decent enough starting point when I try to mix something.

Cheers man, the next sample will come in a day or two!

Gojira, which reverb plus-in have you used?
Your recording sounds so fuckin' GREAT! Can't wait to hear all the tracks :headbang:

Actually, I have been trying out different freeware/donationware reverbs. Those that I have tried are Freeverb3, Glaceverb and Ambience and a couple more that I don't remember the name of right now... and I'm afraid I can't remember exactly which one is on those clips either :D I'm so senile when it comes to what plugin I used for a certain thing, because I just focus so hard on the sound and tweaking, that I forget all about what plugin it was. I usually remember EQ and Compressor, those are the bread and butter but remembering other plugins is hard sometimes... senile at the age of 22, not good :(

Anyway, the answer for your question lies somewhere within those reverbs I listed! :D

<

The kick is really good now! More punchy and more defined :)

Skeksis mentioned some nice tips about the snare, and that sounds like a must do! ;)

Also, you have lost a lot of highend in v3. Both on the OHs and the guitars(?) Sounds so to me. The guitars feels like they are a little little bit burried. I know you can make them more clear :)

Personally I think you should lower the distortion on the bass aswell. Doesn't feel like it really fits with the mix. It was less audible in v2. Don't know if you raised the distortion in some way, or if it's just more clear now. Still to much of some frequenzy. I'm going to look in to that now!

Otherwise, this is super :D

EDIT: It seems like you should cut the bass guitar around 250hz. I think that will make the kick come through a little bit more aswell. I'm not talking about a major cut, but a few dB. Kind of wide curve. Try it out, maybe you don't like it at all ^^ Also don't forget about the highend I mentioned!

Commenting on v3..

Snare is quite boxy. I'd cut around 3-400Hz.
Bass has much too much mids. Don't mind the level of distortion but its overpowering everything.
The toms sound great.
Guitars could still be raised a TOUCH.
As has been said, highs need to come up a tad.

I still like v1 best though. Its less full, but just sounds really nice and defined. The bass cuts through perfectly. If you can get the guitars and toms and kick of v3 with the bass and snare and OHs of v1 it'll be good I think.

Commenting on v3..

Snare is quite boxy. I'd cut around 3-400Hz.
Bass has much too much mids. Don't mind the level of distortion but its overpowering everything.
The toms sound great.
Guitars could still be raised a TOUCH.
As has been said, highs need to come up a tad.

I still like v1 best though. Its less full, but just sounds really nice and defined. The bass cuts through perfectly. If you can get the guitars and toms and kick of v3 with the bass and snare and OHs of v1 it'll be good I think.

Personally I don't think the snare need much of a cut there actually, more a boost in the 2k-5k area, like skeksis said. The "boxy" sounds is nice imo :) matter of taste I guess.

Everything else you said is perfect.

Snare, OH and bass sound best on version 1 for me. Guitars sound best on version 2 too me (I like the chaos that comes from non eq-ed reverbs on the guitar, suits the music). The kick sounds best on version 3. In general version three sounds as if there is too much eq-ing going on (I don't know if that is the case, but it has this kind of lack of definition and high end that I often get when I use too much plugins).

I think this may have come to the point where it's opinions on the sort of sound they like best for this style. Myself i love the sound of the bass on v3 and the way it fits into the mix. The mid emphasised snare is great for the style, at least the black metal sound that i like to hear.

Personal taste, personal taste.............. is the "client" taking any part in the mixing process?

Having said that it's nice to talk about stuff that's already pretty good, it does make it hard because it becomes so ridiculously subjective

As you've stated this stuff was already really good to start with, so its more about giving it a certain flavour. This is certainly mainly a question of taste but that's all good, that's the point where mixing starts to add to the music. So the most important question would indeed be what you're "client" thinks sounds best for his songs.

Due to my client's limited knowledge about anything and everything, he usually goes "Good!" no matter what version he hears. If he comments on anything, it's either the reverb, or that he can't hear some tiny "detail" he does on his riffs :) Anyway, I'm pretty aware of what he likes so it should turn out good. As long as the kick is smacky and the snare cuts through, and he hears his guitars, he is happy. I must say though... this is getting more fun than I was "hoping" for, so I'm spending extra time to tweak the sound :) Which leads me to say...

New version!

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/585020/wtfAWESOMEmix_v4.mp3

Cleaned up the bass guitar a lot (mainly in the EQ, some more comp and less distortion, and mixed it slightly lower), got the snare to cut through more evenly and took a dB or two off of its body, brightened up the guitars and raised them slightly, brightened up the OH a bit and compressed it a little more with the attack aiming for more definition and raised it all up slightly.

Holy crap there is a big difference between v3 and v4.. and I think v4 is for the better :) Hope you like it too guys! I'm quite satisfied with this mix template actually. There is a healthy supply of reverb but it doesn't get in the way, which is really cool (same amount as in v3 I think).

Just had a quick thought about the bass perhaps needing to come up just a tad... anyone else feel the bass is slightly too low or is it just me? Keep in mind I'm one of those dudes who likes fat bass and djenty tones so... I'm not good at "thinking black metal" :)

that sounds really good, although the kick seemed to lack some of the punch and definition it had previously

You might be able to get away with a few more db of bass guitar, but i don't reckon it needs it.

Overall it's a very good mix

bass could possibly come up a tad, and the kick does kinda lack some punch but thats about it. the mixes basically get better as you go

that sounds really good, although the kick seemed to lack some of the punch and definition it had previously

You might be able to get away with a few more db of bass guitar, but i don't reckon it needs it.

Overall it's a very good mix

bass could possibly come up a tad, and the kick does kinda lack some punch but thats about it. the mixes basically get better as you go

Bah of course, how stupid of me! I brightened up the guitars a little, which causes them to bury the kick's attack a bit, hence the lack of punch you guys detected (which I heavily agree on now that I have gotten to rest my ears for a while!). I will try some EQ surgery on the guitars and see if I can make a little opening for the kick to come through instead of just boosting the kick's high end... too much.

I think v4 is the best one so far.

Thank you, and with these new changes I'm going to make, I think v5 will be the final mix (well, vocals are still going to be added later so, I guess I'll have a little more to do). Hopefully v5 will be good overall.

Gojira, could you post a link to exciter you have used on guitars, please? I can't find it anywhere :(

http://www.stormrecordingstudio.co.uk/

I'm using that one Urgul, there are some other things there as well. It's a very simple thing, not a lot of controls but it does what it's supposed to! Sometimes it sounds really good, and sometimes like shit. It all depends on the source material.