I'd like some feedback on this crap.. please!

AND FINALLY, while this is pretty good for Revalver, once I get my Recto cab you gotta let me re-amp! :D

Most certainly my good friend :) When will you be getting that cab? I _might_ have vocals on this by then, probably just scratch tracks for vocals, but it might be useful when you dial in the tone so you can fit it in better :)

Looking forward to it, gonna be interesting. Also going to be interesting to hear the difference between the recto cab and the stiletto, since you already reamped a thing once with the stiletto, we could compare them etc. :)

Hmm good point, but I'm not counting on being able to take this chain and slam it into the project later when I have vocals and everything. I'm of course going to have to do further adjustments in the EQ later, but I'm just trying to get a "good guitar sound" early on, so that I won't have to do that AND fitting later.

[biased opinion]
I have noticed that a lot of people here seem to want make their guitartone super saturated and sharp with superfat lowend like Mesa+tubescreamer for everything, but I think that those guys aren't trying to play it for the team.

The more I've done livegigs (+950 and counting) as an engineer, I've come to love a bit thinner (and maybe a bit darker) guitar tone with a bit less gain than the superthich distorted sound, because the thick sound is just super hard to mix naturally with the rest of the band, and usually ends up making the mix really cluttered.

If you leave the tone a bit thinner on the low end, you have a lot more room for the bass to give your mix the balls, and if you leave it a bit darker in the mids, you give a lot more room for the vocals. The solos are a different thing, thats when you are the star and should be heard; Add the solobooster pedal like tubescreamer there and ram it away!

And they're not big adjustments that make the guitars sit perfectly, its usually only like turning from 7 to 5-6 and something like that.

edit: I've come to like Godsmacks and Soulfly guitar tone a lot nowadays, its kinda what I mean, a bit on the darker side instead of the supersharp sound:
[/biased opinion]

I suggest that you will try to do a mix with demovocals, you can even do it yourself as it doesn't have to be in tune or anything, just so you can hear how the stuff will sit together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Revalver tone :kickass:

I agree with the opinions here: a compromise between FO_v4 and FO_v5 would be great. I say this mainly because, evein if v4 is amazing, it could be a problem to sit it in a mix. That's why i suspect that v5 would work better in a mix slightly boosting the mids.

ahjteam, you've got a good point and I understand what you're saying, and that's what I sort of did on my first project, but I think they came out too thin instead and I'm really inspired by the fatty guitars like Gojira's From Mars to Sirius album... it's got that vibrating dynamic big ass bottom, I just love it. So that's what I've sort of tried doing here, but as you say, vocals are needed to decide.

However, I kinda like the overall "character" of the sound and distortion, so even if I make it darker and thinner, I think I'm still gonna like it. Problem with my first project was that the guitars and the bass guitar were TOO separated, so I have to be careful not thinning out this new tone if I thin it out at all. By the way, this is the first time ever that I've been thinking of thinning something down because it's too fat... haha, it always is the opposite otherwise!

Great Revalver tone :kickass:

I agree with the opinions here: a compromise between FO_v4 and FO_v5 would be great. I say this mainly because, evein if v4 is amazing, it could be a problem to sit it in a mix. That's why i suspect that v5 would work better in a mix slightly boosting the mids.

Thank you!

Yup, I think I'll "nail it" next time :) Shouldn't be much more than dragging a little slider on the EQ and it should be enough.

I just need to get out of my brain freeze... it takes me ages to come up with a few "good" riffs these days. If this continues, I'll have to spend a month just to get material for a few songs :|

ahjteam, you've got a good point and I understand what you're saying, and that's what I sort of did on my first project, but I think they came out too thin instead and I'm really inspired by the fatty guitars like Gojira's From Mars to Sirius album... it's got that vibrating dynamic big ass bottom, I just love it. So that's what I've sort of tried doing here, but as you say, vocals are needed to decide.

I haven't listened to Gojira on regular basis, but I listened to Vacuity and Backbone from their myspace and compared the guitar sounds, and I think that Gojira also has quite of a darker tone now, but also in general than the usual stuff here. Its not like the "stabbing the ears" kinda sharp on either clip, but its quite big on the low end. But when you listen to the beginning of the Backbone when the guitar is playing alone before the bass kicks in, you can pretty clearly hear that the guitar sound itself isn't really that thick; It's the bass that makes it big, just like I said.

Yea the lows probably need to be tamed a bit more but I think I'll keep it the way it is for now. It kinda helps when making songs, to be able to have both the "bass" and the guitar in one :) What I've done so far though when it comes to bass reduction, is not simply running a big high pass on the guitars, I've used multiband compression to compress the lows a lot in a very controlled way (combined with a high pass to remove the really low subs), so that they are still there when I play melodies etc, instead of simply cutting them out forever. I think this is nice because it gives the digital guitars some of that real guitar feeling, like when you pick even lighter strings, a real cab will still give a thump on the initial hit. This is sort of what is going on with my tone right now as well, which I like.

About the highs, I've finally managed to get a somewhat "smooshy smooth" treble on the guitars, which I had a reeeeeaally big trouble with some time ago. I remember I asked in a thread, about that "smooshiness" that is going on with for example Devin Townsend's sound on the song Shitstorm, which can be heard in the intro. I was never able to get it myself though, I thought I had to buy a dual recto or something for that haha (Don't get me wrong, the day I have one of those, all softwares can go fuck themselves), but now that I'm somewhat on that path, it feels nice.

Mmm later, I don't have anything on this computer at home :) It'll probably take a while... and I will need to explain one thing or two because this tone is made up by a ... different way :p More explaining later!

Excellent, every bit of info will be appreciated! :)