Rate this! Another black metal project

Erkan

mr-walker.bandcamp
Jun 16, 2008
Uppsala, Sweden
mr-walker.bandcamp.com
Just edited this entire post because... well, I was really mad when I wrote it and it didn't look so pretty =)

Anyway, I have updated the mix and here is something new to listen to:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/585020/BM_mix.mp3

This is almost the final mix now, the black metal dude is content with this mix and if he is, then so am I... because I just want to get this over with.

---- Edit 2 December 2009: -----

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/585020/HamburgersAreTASTYwtf.mp3

New mix, new song.

HAHAHA VAFAN SJUNGER HAN?

Sickan asked what the FUCK the guy is singing about and hell if I know dude! I stopped listening to what he was singing about after 5 seconds.

Oh and check this out... while setting the input level for the vocals, I asked him to do some screams. He did, and it was too loud so the input clipped and as you all know, that kind of clipping or distortion is NOT cool. Everyone of us here at this forum avoid clipping the input no matter what we're tracking (unless we know what the fuck we're doing and specifically want it to clip) but this guy went all nuts when he heard the fucked up clipping and said it was so cool and how he wanted this. He specifically said "I love how the sound "cracks up" when I scream loud". God, what did I do to deserve this?

Anyway, so I gave him a fuckload of saturation which just makes the vocals sound nasty the way he wanted it set up but yeah, it's his choise.

for a true black metal sound you should seriously put the track on a CD... put it in the shittiest ghettoblaster you can find, record it with something like this:
SNOPY-SN-130-PC-MIKROFON-BILGISAYAR-MIKROFONU__16986821_0.jpg

Afterwards you should put a (big) reverb again on it and mix it down with 48kbps Bitrate...

o_O

it honestly sounds fine, coming from a big bm fan (liking both the old mayhem/darkthrone/burzum productions, and newer clear productions). the guitars are sort-of weak due to the reverb but I don't see why you can't simply lessen that and play with the eq a bit so its more full.

are the drums programmed or did you play them again? they're great either way.

I think it sounds pretty good....for what it sounds like the guy is after.

Are they real drums? Cause it seems like there is some impossible cymbal manuevers, mainly in the first blast part. So if they're real, pretty sick.

And dude, seriously....production is despised in Blackmetal. But i'de definitly wanna hear the guitars with a more Dark Tranquillity - Skydancer type tone. Like super verby but well-defined. Or a more Dissection type feel. It definitly seems a little thin, but you already mentioned that.

Only words i could seperate was "Sola, slåss!"... sounded like that.... sorta...

Arrrrr! Alotta reverby me matey!

Export the mix in mono. I think he'll like that.

the only thing i would change is the amount of verb on the guitars. Although i would say this mix is perfect for this style. It sounds pretty awesome.

also what did you do for the drums, they sound great.

Aaaw, you are guys are adorable! :D Haha, I was so mad last night but now that I'm reading all this and after a few hours of sleep it feels like I'm uplifted by a fresh breeze of air.

Haha I dig this mix a lot man...It's perfect for BM. Nice song too.

What was your recording setup?

Guitar setup?

-Joe

Thanks a bunch Joe! The recording setup was:

Drums: Pearl Export kit with semi-old Emperor Clear heads > JJLabs cheap drum mic set (similar to Samson brand or something) > Cheap Thomann XLR cables > Profire 2626 > REAPER

Straight forward micing on the drums, 1 for each drum (snare, 3 toms, kick) and an extra on the snare bottom for some high end. No additional cymbal mics other than the OH which was set up sort of in an ORTF kind of way. The only drum mic that wasn't some cheap ass mic was the bottom snare mic where I used an SM57. But to be honest, the cheap mics don't really sound that bad, especially compared to the 57 on snare. I always have trouble getting a good snare sound even with the 57 =[

Guitars: He had a Gibson Flying-V (don't know much else about it, didn't care too much anyway) with passive stock hambucker > Profire 2626 > REAPER (the guitars are running through a modified version of my standard guitar chain where WarpVST is the amp sim)

Bass: Some Fernandez 5-string > Profire 2626 > REAPER

Vocals: SM58 with popfilter > Cheap Thomann XLR Cable > Profire 2626 > REAPER

it honestly sounds fine, coming from a big bm fan (liking both the old mayhem/darkthrone/burzum productions, and newer clear productions). the guitars are sort-of weak due to the reverb but I don't see why you can't simply lessen that and play with the eq a bit so its more full.

are the drums programmed or did you play them again? they're great either way.

So it doesn't sound as bad as I think it does? Thanks =) I have a hard time "thinking black metal" and this is just way out of my way of mixing but if it works for him, I'm happy since that means I'll be done with him! Haha ^^ Yeah I will try to lessen the reverb and see if he's gonna go all necro krieg on my ass for it.

Oh right I totally forgot to mention about the drums. The kick is programmed because the way he wanted some drum parts on some songs I figured I was not going to be able to play it and there would have to be waaaaaay too many edits so I simply programmed the kick but played everything else. The kicks are being fired from ApTrigga in Random Mode and it's the RRKick samples... can't remember who it was from this forum who made and shared those but they're awesome! Had to cut lots of highs away from the samples though, it was not "necro" or "true" enough for black metal with all the clicky clicky =)

I think it sounds pretty good....for what it sounds like the guy is after.

Are they real drums? Cause it seems like there is some impossible cymbal manuevers, mainly in the first blast part. So if they're real, pretty sick.

And dude, seriously....production is despised in Blackmetal. But i'de definitly wanna hear the guitars with a more Dark Tranquillity - Skydancer type tone. Like super verby but well-defined. Or a more Dissection type feel. It definitly seems a little thin, but you already mentioned that.

I will have to take that impossible cymbal comment as a compliment becuase that is played by me! =) As I just wrote above though, the kick is programmed due to the circumstances. Thanks for the tips about the guitar tone, I'll dig something up with those bands and listen later.

the only thing i would change is the amount of verb on the guitars. Although i would say this mix is perfect for this style. It sounds pretty awesome.

also what did you do for the drums, they sound great.

Thumbs up, thanks for the comment. I'm not really happy with the drums yet, but he won't let me make it sound "too good" so I just left it at this level of "goodness". There's really nothing special going on with the drums except the kick as I mentioned. It's just your everyday standard procedure with EQ and Compression (and the high dosage of the "oh so godly" reverb). I had to cut a loooot of mids out of the toms to get them to sound anything other than cardboard boxes though. I think the combination of old heads and those drum mics are giving me a shitload of mids on the drums... I'll change to Pinstripe heads soon, that should give me back some nice attack =)

Other than that, I don't know what to say about the drums... it's just very basic. I tried to keep the amount of plugins low and just trying to generally keep it simple.

I probably listen to more black metal than anyone else around here and I think this is pretty bad.

Far too much reverb is turning the riffs into a mess and in places (it seemed to happen lots at the beginning and not so much now I'm half way through, maybe my ears are just getting used to it) the drums seemed to completely overpower the guitars. If anything it's usually the other way around.

I probably listen to more black metal than anyone else around here and I think this is pretty bad.

Far too much reverb is turning the riffs into a mess and in places (it seemed to happen lots at the beginning and not so much now I'm half way through, maybe my ears are just getting used to it) the drums seemed to completely overpower the guitars. If anything it's usually the other way around.

Thank you! This is exactly how I feel too, but this stupid shit wants it this way. Although, he has now agreed with me when I said the kick was too loud, and he wants to hear a version with less reverb on the guitars too, so that's a step forward atleast.

Really raw BM:lol: I think best BM produced album is last Marduk. Sound so evil and natural at the same time:kickass:

But for back on topic, too much verb (don't sound like it was recorded on a dark cavern with beast inside:lol:)...

Erkan, super sick on the drums dude. In that first blast. The crashes interweaved with the ride cymbal sound awesome!

Great drumming dude.

Erkan, are you telling me you never listened to Dark Tranquillity and Dissection? Find that surprising..(they're both swedish bands). You should definitly check them out. And since you're a drummer and from sweden definitly check out The Crown as well. I think Janne is one of the best drummers ever.

It's always amazed me too, no one knows who The Crown are. By god, they were one of the best bands ever!

I listen to a lot of black metal myself and I definitely agree with this. As odd as this may sound, the drums are just too clear sounding for the amount of reverb on the guitars. It's making the drums seem to stick out a lot more than the guitars, volume-wise. Does that make sense? That dude writes some cool riffs but I'm not too keen on the vocals. o_O