Drum editing for my album has been started - Adam's Slip Editing!

Yeah I hear ya dude. The only time it is ever an issue is on really fast 16th note double bass rolls where you are really butchering the overheads with splits everywhere. That's when I start editing stuff separately, but you will be surprised what you can get away with when editing everything together. Like I said, rule of thumb, edit everything together always. If you listen back and something sounds like shit, then edit the kick on it's own and leave everything else natural.

^ Words of wisdom. I will continue through the rest of the songs by editing together and if I need to I'll go back and re-edit all the songs where I edited the kick totally separately. Thanks again Adam!

The slip editing method really is cool! Sounds a little more tighter (it was already played pretty tight) but still very natural. You can hear that the kick is edited seperately from the rest, but within a mix that should fade away. The tracks were really clean too, very usable and played very well. I made a fairly quick drum mix (what isn't quick by any means , but in comparison ;) Little perfectionist here too...) with all natural drums, gated and processed to hell and back but still natural :)

Drumzzzz

ALSOOO, i made a 'mix' with your guitars, WHADDOISAY? Yea, I got them guitars on :) The thing is when i listened to those tracks i recognised the pattern from a DI track you posted long time ago, i blended them in the project and SHABLAM! i was corrrrect :) I only had the (digitally) reamped file which contained a mono file which i made stereo'ish by cheating ;)

Here it is

I think i would use some samples in the final mix, but only to beefen up the sight. The drums sound pretty good by itself but could sound even better when the correct samples are mixed in the correct way, but i'd still preserve the natural vibe as much as possible. So it would probably be a 30% sample 70% natural drum kinda thing, 50/50 at most, depending on the sound.

Erkan: great job on the natural sound. Nuno said it best with "Dude for what I hear you will have just to blend the snare, all the rest works great. What it lacks in the snare it´s more crack and punch." Exactly what I was thinking. I think it's got plenty of body, just a bit more spank to it. Great job otherwise.

Adam: ridiculously awesome vid on the slip edit. Reaper is worth the cost simply for that one feature. I had no clue drum editing could be that empowering. I love the fact it's not the computer guessing where it should snap transients and you have control over everything from fade placement to drum hits. Awesome stuff. I haven't been this hyped about a new technique in a while. Thanks!!

Sorry to sidebar. Erkan continue with the rockage!!

The slip editing method really is cool! Sounds a little more tighter (it was already played pretty tight) but still very natural. You can hear that the kick is edited seperately from the rest, but within a mix that should fade away. The tracks were really clean too, very usable and played very well. I made a fairly quick drum mix (what isn't quick by any means , but in comparison ;) Little perfectionist here too...) with all natural drums, gated and processed to hell and back but still natural :)

Drumzzzz

ALSOOO, i made a 'mix' with your guitars, WHADDOISAY? Yea, I got them guitars on :) The thing is when i listened to those tracks i recognised the pattern from a DI track you posted long time ago, i blended them in the project and SHABLAM! i was corrrrect :) I only had the (digitally) reamped file which contained a mono file which i made stereo'ish by cheating ;)

Here it is

I think i would use some samples in the final mix, but only to beefen up the sight. The drums sound pretty good by itself but could sound even better when the correct samples are mixed in the correct way, but i'd still preserve the natural vibe as much as possible. So it would probably be a 30% sample 70% natural drum kinda thing, 50/50 at most, depending on the sound.

Haha that's really cool! I had no idea someone would recognize the pattern from those old crappy DIs I posted a long time ago :) My guitar playing is luckily better now... I sort of cringed when I heard those guitars now hehe.

As for the drum mix you made, it sounds pretty cool! The only thing I don't like is the tom tails which are too short or in other words too hardly gated. Other than that, it sounds usable!

Erkan: great job on the natural sound. Nuno said it best with "Dude for what I hear you will have just to blend the snare, all the rest works great. What it lacks in the snare it´s more crack and punch." Exactly what I was thinking. I think it's got plenty of body, just a bit more spank to it. Great job otherwise.

Adam: ridiculously awesome vid on the slip edit. Reaper is worth the cost simply for that one feature. I had no clue drum editing could be that empowering. I love the fact it's not the computer guessing where it should snap transients and you have control over everything from fade placement to drum hits. Awesome stuff. I haven't been this hyped about a new technique in a while. Thanks!!

Sorry to sidebar. Erkan continue with the rockage!!

Yeah you're right. I think I can keep this kit very natural, all I need to do is blending a nice snare with my own. I'm really happy it turned out this way because I was ready to sample abuse on this project just go get it sounding "good" but my goal has changed now. I'd much rather have a less "produced" sound if it means I can keep the drums natural without using samples.

Yeah Adam's tutorial turned my feelings toward editing from night to day. I was getting depressed thinking about how much drum editing I had to do but then this method came and now it's actually fun!

Thanks for your support guys, it really comes in handy :)

Adam, I really need your help for a sec here.

I just finished editing another song (not super intensive on the kick so it went quite smoothly) with everything grouped together. On this part of the song in particular, I noticed some nasty artifacts on the snare. Now, I'd imagine I need to edit the kick separately here but I never had a "reference point" for when the kick is too active and this is the first time I encounter this problem. I thought it'd only be a problem when the kick is like going 16th notes at 180 bpm and up but it seems it doesn't take that much for the kick to ruin the rest of the kit. Let's listen to the clip:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/585020/Drumtest weirdness.mp3

Do you hear the snare's tail being all weird and crap? I assume I have to edit the kick separately in this situation to avoid chopping up the snare that much. I will however pause my editing and study some driver's license theory until I have your wise answer :) Thanks a million times man!

Yeah, it sounded great in the room but I don't like how it translated through the 57. I think I miced it a bit bad though... hmm, too close to the edge so it has a lot of ring because it really doesn't ring that much in the room. I'm gonna blend that motherfucker with one of Behindert's snares, those are FAT and will kick the ass out of my recorded snare. :)

yeah those samples are really great. i currently use them a lot :rofl:

the kick sounds really cool for not beeing a sample dude, respect!
hope it will work out in a mix though^^

I guess everything about editing has been said allready...
most times its better to edit all tracks, but at some specific parts (especially if the guitars cover most of the overheads) it works if you only edit the kick. snare is a different thing, that causes weird sounds with the overheads most of the time when done seperatly.
if the overheads sound weird because of too much editing you'll have no other choice than do it seperatly. but i guess your playing is tight enough to not cause such problems ; )
guitars cover a lot in the mix anyway.

Kick replaced with Lasse's Kick, everything else natural.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/425433/Mixing/DRUMS.mp3

The snare triggers the kick a bunch of times but it should be a piece of cake to fix that. Aside from that, it sounds pretty farkin' good!

Mind sharing the processing for the snare? Still doesn't feel like the type of snare I need in my music but it's definately MUCH better than what I got. Awesomely done Erik :)

huge sound!
great work man
so its just your drums with comp and eq and stuff? or did you sample your own set and then put them over?

huge sound!
great work man
so its just your drums with comp and eq and stuff? or did you sample your own set and then put them over?

It's my own kit blended with "Faderhead's Tama Starclassic Kick" and Behindert's "B2" snare (very phat snare!). I've got the samples peaking about 7 db lower than the natural tracks so it's still mostly my own kit but the samples add some nice attack and higher frequencies.

Everything else is natural/my own kit.

ah well, so its just a tad blended i guess.
i always thought the samples you mentioned sound cool on their own, but arent useable for 100% replacement...but they work great when blended as i see!

ah well, so its just a tad blended i guess.
i always thought the samples you mentioned sound cool on their own, but arent useable for 100% replacement...but they work great when blended as i see!

Of course they won't work well when replaced 100%, there are only 3 of the Faderhead kicks and 1 of the B2 snare from Behindert :) That's not exactly a lot of variation per hit so it would sound completely fucked up and mechanical.

Over time I have noticed that you can get away with blending just one sample as I have done now for the snare for example, if you let the body of the natural track be prominent. The body gives a lot of that variation in the sound while the sample's attack and high end will contribute to the overall sharp/crisp/polished sound. The two combined... voila! :)

I really like the way my drum sound is going right now, it's how I imagined it would be. I've had Sybreed and Sikth's Death of a Dead Day as my influence in the drum tone and it might be recognizable ;) I'm glad you like it by the way!

... my god, i can't fuckin wait for the album/ep/whatever it is. :D

and btw, the drums are sounding awesome!

Of course they won't work well when replaced 100%, there are only 3 of the Faderhead kicks and 1 of the B2 snare from Behindert :) That's not exactly a lot of variation per hit so it would sound completely fucked up and mechanical.

lol sure thats the main reason, but I also meant they dont work that well on their own because of the sound itself...you know what i mean? they sound great on its own but lack something for a mix...but i gotta try out that kind of blending you did for sure :kickass: