my biggest tracking/editing challenge yet(August Burns Red type band)

brianhood

No Care Ever
http://files.getdropbox.com/u/536384/Death of Skepsis/Mix 1/song 2.mp3

please give your opinions on the overall mix, tightness of everything, and editing. Guitar tracking and drum editing in particular were very time consuming(as far as my standards go).
I'm fairly pleased with the first mix though.

anything you'd change?

EDIT

Catharsis Ryan took the liberty of reamping this for me.
Left is Mesa and right is 5150, both fredman mic setup(i believe)

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/536384/Death of Skepsis/Catharsis/reamp 2.mp3

I sent him the DI's before i edited all of the gaps, so there is alot of excess noise throughout the song.

any thoughts about this vs. pod farm mix?

Brian your shit sounds awesome always. I don't really hear anything I would change. I dont know how you get such good clarity with everything.

Brian your shit sounds awesome always. I don't really hear anything I would change. I dont know how you get such good clarity with everything.

Thanks dude!
and lmao @ your signature hahaha

Sounds really good. During the harmonized guitar riffs, how many tracks of such riffs are there? And how did you pan them? (I can hear riffs are panned separately)

There are 4 total guitar parts there. Two leads(panned 100% L and R), and two rhythms(also planned 100% L and R)

hey Brian do you think there is possibility to get similar guitar tone with passive pickups? And do you prefere passive or active pickups in mixes?

hey Brian do you think there is possibility to get similar guitar tone with passive pickups? And do you prefere passive or active pickups in mixes?

similar? possibly...the same? maybe not

i always use active pickups in metal/hardcore mixes. If the bands dont have a guitar with active pickups(and in good condition), we end up using my Ibanez RG6 EXFX

if it's a softer band(which i rarely record), i use passive pickups.

what processing did you use on slates? and on the master bus?

a lot haha...
kick has alot of mids and 200hz taken out. boosts at 3k and 9k, and a little cut at 5k. high passed at 65 hz
snare has a good bit of eq to take the "ping" out of the sample. Also a little to boost the body of the snare. There is also a fair amount of compression on the snare on toms(seperate compressor on the snare than on the toms). Toms have some low end taken out and a little high shelf.
Snare and toms all have noise gates on them.

The master buss is this

Gclip
Glcip
x-hum
Izotope Ozone 3

in izotope i have loudness max on -3.5 thresh, character on 0.0.
mastering reverb set at plate with 6.1 wet.
paragraphic equalizer set to boost slightly between 1k and 6k.

multiband harmonic exciter is set like this:

band 2 set between 925hz-2.22kh. Amount 3.2, mix 100

band 3 set between 2.22khz-8.75khz. Amount 4.3, mix 55

band 4 set between 8.75khz-20khz Amount 3.0, mix 100

that's about it

I think it sounds killer dude....

I have been mixing to hot as of lately

I notice you went pretty heavy on the threshold (-3.5) on the limiter...

I'm wondering before you really try to start getting your volume where is your mix hitting RMS wise? thanks dude

I think it sounds killer dude....

I have been mixing to hot as of lately

I notice you went pretty heavy on the threshold (-3.5) on the limiter...

I'm wondering before you really try to start getting your volume where is your mix hitting RMS wise? thanks dude

i really havent found a solid way to mesure RMS yet. the PAZ meter reading is always garbage, as is the "infinite" RMS reading on Izotope.
By the end of a song, those readings will be at like -4rms :lol:
and i know that isn't correct

Hey man,that sounds amazing!!!please can you share details about guitar patch (rythm and lead please)?the two patches and post processing please,thank you brian

brian, this sounds awesome...
i think it could be your best mix.
guitars and bass sound great together.;)

could you share pod patch and more info about guitars like always?