Tried out a new vocalist for my project - let's put him under the microscope!

It comes down to which direction you'll want to take the music. The first guy would make it a bit emo-esque if you know what I mean, but in a good way IMO

I think it sounds more like hysterical-emo,which definitly doesnt fit the music because it neither hysterical nor emo^^

I like number 1 the best

He seems much more interresting with the screamo/post-hardcore edge his vocals got.. and unlike what already have been said I love his clean vocals (the bit starting around 2:05) .. he reminds me of the singer from "la dispute"

Work with him and IMO you could get a more memorable and unique project out of this :saint:

I think it sounds more like hysterical-emo,which definitly doesnt fit the music because it neither hysterical nor emo^^

not really, but I think he gives the music some edge ^^

besides, can the second guy pull off any decent cleans?

Very hard one, Guy 2's voice is absolutely sick but a little monotone/sterile sounding, the vocal lines aren't very exciting either, or is what i'm saying not fair because the guy didn't really prepare for the session? But overall he sounds more balanced

The 1st guy has loads more emotion in his voice and he does more with his voice speaking in terms of variety and dynamics, i really dig the part from 1:05. But listening to the whole track i do believe that his vocal lines need some more balance, some parts sound a little too hysterical/rushed and i don't think the "emo'ish" clean things are working for the song.

I hope this helps somewhat because i would be in serious doubt if this was my call, good luck my man

No, guy 2 admitted himself that he sucks at cleans. This is actually not such a big deal though because I think I can try some cleans for this myself. I sort of want to be involved in the vocals somehow and this would give me a perfect opportunity. Guy 2 has only been doing this screaming stuff for 1 year btw... that's pretty impressive considering how much control he has over his voice.

Good news though: I will be trying Guy 1 tomorrow for the verse and chorus on this song again, this time with my new mic. I'll post an update tomorrow and we can have a much more fair comparison.

Just want to let you know I value your opinion and feedback a lot guys, thanks for that! Keep 'em coming.

I think guy #2's style is a lot better. I think I prefer his higher screams to the lower ones too.

Music sounds really sick, I can't wait to hear the final product.

I re-recorded Guy 1 with the same mic as Guy 2 and the results are in the OP or here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/585020/BilOVE Gustaf TC1.mp3

However, on Guy 1 the mic distorted like crazy because his voice level was much louder than Guy 2. I have made a thread about this here so please read and reply to that thread if you have any info about this issue. Very strange... I suspect the mic is broken or it's just me who doesn't know that tube gear do react like this. Man, I should've been born in the 60's! Hah :)

Anyway, I've worked more with Guy 1 now and made him record a few beats at a time as opposed to the whole damn part at once. I think the result is MUCH better than before so it's now more fair to compare them against each other.

first of all: real drums = real cool!

I still like guy 2 more, even that now with the better mic I think I could get used to guy 1.
A pitty that you cant use bouth guys, I think they'd work good together.

I prefer guy 1 too. Guy 2 is ok but he sounds like any average death metal singer. If you want some originality, guy 1 is really more interesting, even if he may be more difficult to deal with, technically.

He might just be more dificult to deal with at the moment becuase he knows hes got competition...hopefully hell mellow out if he gets the gig...im all for this guy i really dig his style

Yikes, I gotta be honest dude, I think they're both pretty bad - 2 is generic and has that monotonous "wrrahh wrrahhh wrrahh" growl style where you can tell there's very little actual power behind it (see: Randy Blythe :loco: ), and 1 just makes me lol like no other, he sounds like a shrieking barking dog IMO (though granted, I despise that vocal style even when it's done well); there are some parts where 1 is cool though, so I'd stick with him, but get a lot more delay + verb on his vox IMO! (and tell him to ditch the spoken word-stylisms such as the "there is another lie" buildup :yuk: Though that's probably just taste) I'm really loving the synths though dude, nice - also, is there any bass in the mix yet? (if so, it could come up a lot IMO) Drums sound sweet too :headbang:

Yikes, I gotta be honest dude, I think they're both pretty bad - 2 is generic and has that monotonous "wrrahh wrrahhh wrrahh" growl style where you can tell there's very little actual power behind it (see: Randy Blythe :loco: ), and 1 just makes me lol like no other, he sounds like a shrieking barking dog IMO (though granted, I despise that vocal style even when it's done well); there are some parts where 1 is cool though, so I'd stick with him, but get a lot more delay + verb on his vox IMO! (and tell him to ditch the spoken word-stylisms such as the "there is another lie" buildup :yuk: Though that's probably just taste) I'm really loving the synths though dude, nice - also, is there any bass in the mix yet? (if so, it could come up a lot IMO) Drums sound sweet too :headbang:

I know your taste is not so ... uhh, don't know how to describe it but yeah, I know you don't like that type of vocals so it doesn't come as a surprise. No there is no bass guitar yet and the synths aren't really done either. Nothing is done for that matter but if anything, the drums are almost done and so are the guitars. I will not be going for any reamping, I'm sticking with ampsims :)

Anyway, right now I'm much more worried about the mic than the singers... gotta solve this fucking issue, it sounds like a horse dick puking its balls out.

No offending here man! All feedback is good feedback :) I'm quite happy with the feedback I've gotten about guy 1 now. I remember the very first clip I posted with him and most were against him. Now it seems I've got the majority voting for guy 1 which is cool :)