Rate this! Another black metal project

Thanks for the info dude! Did you use a sample on the kick?

-Joe

Yeah, it's the RRKick that was released by someone on the forum... damn it, can't remember who it was :( But that kick is very good and versatile!

Erkan, super sick on the drums dude. In that first blast. The crashes interweaved with the ride cymbal sound awesome!

Great drumming dude.

Thanks a lot man, I wasn't expecting to get any feedback on my drumming but hell, it's always nice to hear! Hopefully I'll do some more impressive and solid drumming on my own solo project ^^

Fucking awesome!!! I don't listen to black metal but it sounds really cool.
THere needs to be more reverb on the vocals! :D

Haha yes, MORE REVERB ON EVERYTHING!!! :D

sounds good for BM, but vocals are not evil enough and reverb could be lowered. :)

Agreed... or to put it this way: Vocals sound like shit and reverb is NOT TRUE NECRO KRIEG!

Erkan, are you telling me you never listened to Dark Tranquillity and Dissection? Find that surprising..(they're both swedish bands). You should definitly check them out. And since you're a drummer and from sweden definitly check out The Crown as well. I think Janne is one of the best drummers ever.

It's always amazed me too, no one knows who The Crown are. By god, they were one of the best bands ever!

Well, I have heard a few songs from each of those bands but it was years ago so I don't remember anything ^^ But yeah, checking them out is on my to-do list, been a bit busy lately. Oh yes, I know of The Crown! "Sort of" listened to them when I was 14, very cool music indeed =)

I listen to a lot of black metal myself and I definitely agree with this. As odd as this may sound, the drums are just too clear sounding for the amount of reverb on the guitars. It's making the drums seem to stick out a lot more than the guitars, volume-wise. Does that make sense? That dude writes some cool riffs but I'm not too keen on the vocals. o_O

Yup, that does make sense dude =) I will go back and change a few things today and hopefully lower the reverb without him noticing it or going all "OH NOEZ, IT DOESN'T SOUND LIKE IT WAS RECORDED IN A HUGE HALL ANYMORE!!!"-bullshit. Well the fact is that it WASN'T recorded in a huge hall so I don't know what the problem is in that case heh.

cool drumming bro

Thanks man! Feels a tiny bit extra good to hear it from you... I guess =)

And dude, seriously....production is despised in Blackmetal. But i'de definitly wanna hear the guitars with a more Dark Tranquillity - Skydancer type tone. Like super verby but well-defined. Or a more Dissection type feel. It definitly seems a little thin, but you already mentioned that.
production is only despised by idiots who think being the 10,000th darkthrone clone to exist makes you part of that scene and anything more is "selling out".

this definitely has a dissection/watain-type feel to it what with all the melodies and all.

tagradh said:
I probably listen to more black metal than anyone else around here and I think this is pretty bad.
try me.

Sorry for the bump, but I have updated the mix now with the pretty much final version since this is what the client wants.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/585020/BM_mix.mp3

He is content with the mix but he claims it is pumping. He just wrote to me on MSN a couple hours ago so it's late and he was listening on crap headphones so I'm not sure he's even in the right state to comment on the mix =) Anyway, I'm quite cautious with the whole loudness crap and I really do hate pumping and I've gotten fairly good at detecting pumping these days. With all that said, I can't really detect any pumping in this mix so I wonder if you guys could take a listen and see if you detect any pumping. Just to give you an idea of what this guy is like.... he's one of those who asks for a volume raise on track X, then waits a bit, then asks you if you raised the volume a little bit, you say "yes" and THEN he says "now it sounds good" no matter if you actually raised it or not. :)

This has more reverb than music. Sorry man, but I had to do the joke!lol Apart from feels that the band is playing in some underworld cavern. Dont sound bad at all and I didnt hear any audible pumping.

This has more reverb than music. Sorry man, but I had to do the joke!lol Apart from feels that the band is playing in some underworld cavern. Dont sound bad at all and I didnt hear any audible pumping.

Yeah, I've already expressed my feelings about all the reverb which my "client" requests... that's also the same reason I edited my original post because those weren't very nice feelings haha :)

So yeah, I hate all the reverb and shit but that's how he wants it so I'm just rolling with it. As long as he is happy, I'm happy, because that means I can move on :) I just wanted to see if you guys were hearing any obvious pumping or if it is just his imagination.. and I'm pretty sure which one of those it is.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/585020/HamburgersAreTASTYwtf.mp3 (It seems the drums are not aligned with the rest of the instruments... must've moved them accidentally)

New song (can't reveal what the song name is yet), new mix. My genious "client" told me today, that he thought the guitars were a big reverby mess and that he couldn't hear anything clearly in the mix. He also said he wanted a bit more commercial sounding mix with a clicky drum kick and a bit more powerful snare. This is EXACTLY what I told him as soon as he said he wanted reverb on everything and it took him several weeks to realize this and now he is saying the same thing I said weeks ago. So there we go, finally he seems to have understood that you can't have reverb on everything at 100% wet. This mix sounds like a decent compromise between "underground" black metal sound and commercial sound, or what do you guys think?