Tone .mp3, any input will help!

Jul 7, 2009
Hey guys, I just started really getting into this a week or two ago.

This is with a POD X3 (using Pod Farm though), Addictive Drums, no bass guitar or vocals, and post-EQ and compression on guitars, drums, and a super simple mastering compression (it's actually a preset called NY compression in Reaper's ReaComp, I'm afraid to even attempt to master anything yet).

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=19513

Any advice on the tone would be GLORIOUS, I'm using the Cali Diamond Plate with Screamer behind it and a gate.

DP Settings:

Drive 35
Bass 50
Middle 35
Treble 85
Presence 100
Volume 85

Screamer Settings:

Drive 20
Gain 80
Tone 55

Gate Settings:

Threshold -63
Decay 50%

Compression on all guitars (ReaComp):

Threshold -20.8
Attack 25.5
Release 211
Ratio 8:1
Knee 2.1db
Compressing only 81Hz - 2208Hz
RMS Size 1.8 ms
Wet Mix +5.2db
Dry Mix -45.8db

EQ on all guitars (ReaEQ):

Hipass 50 Hz (Bandwidth = 1.75)
Lopass 12k Hz (Bandwidth = 1.50)
419.5 Hz +3.8db (Bandwidth = 1.00)
800 Hz -5.0db (Bandwidth = 0.74)
4000 Hz -4.4db (Bandwidth = 0.70)
7000 Hz -5.0db (Bandwidth = 1.30)

Phew.... Ok so that will give you exactly what I did to my tone, I need some major help and ANY help would be appreciated. I'm new to this and have spent this past week or two reading and learning, and now I just need some advice on what I'm doing wrong/need to do. I was using a Harmonic Exciter earlier and kind of liked it, but that's beyond my level I think... I took it off so this would be a bit more raw for you guys to give input.

ALSO that tremolo part near the end (palm-muted) is having a hard time sounding meaty, it sounds puny with too little drive/gain, but anymore drive/gain and the guitars get that fizzy/wooshy sound that drives me insane... any advice on that would be immensely helpful as well

Thanks for any help!

P.S. I realize the playing isn't even clean and the writing is terrible, I just threw this together and I did so super hastily.

Hello TheTrevorStrain, to my knowledge New York compression is also known as Parallel compression. I suggest that you take that off, put small amounts of EQ to taste, put a limiter with no more than 3 db of gain reduction and post the clip again.
Nice tune.

Cheers!

Thanks man, ya I had read where NY is the same as Parallel. I took it off and am tracking my friend's band so when I'm done I will goof around with the tone a bit.

Does it not sound fizzy/loose/stupid to you guys? I feel like that tone doesn't sit in the "mix" (if you can call it that) at all and that it is too wooshy/flubby/gargly sounding...

Any other helpers? I'll post that band's track up here asap, it will be a week or so. That one I'll post without that NY mastering compression.

Thanks again Maamar.

Trevor