Help)

Spell88

May 8, 2011
Guys, please advise me what to buy for a set of music style Deathcore. Need everything - Kick, Snare, 3 Toms and Cymbals. Guitar - 7 string, drop A. Really like the sound of Oceano - Depths (2009)
can someone knows the settings pod farm that used to get the sound of guitars they have)
I would be very grateful for the help!):headbang:

ahh geez. it begins.

1. this should be in the off topic forum.
2. I don't think anyone knows the exact settings on here, save Joey. but you should know it's not proper to ask for settings. you should try to make something new.

aside from these things.
are you an experience musician? do you not have a guitar or drums at all? are you in a band or are you making personal music?
it's kinda hard to give such abstract advice without a little background to your experience.

I'm from Ukraine, in our (not very developed country, to say the least) practically do not have a good studio. I recently found out who this Joey Sturgis and what he does. I think he is a very cool sound produser (one of the best).I really like his sound and want to try to make at least half of the same))
I want to know what you recommend to buy from the software.
Pod Farm 2 or Metal Shop, what kind of Joey's drums?
Please help a novice sound engineer ...

Sorry if I write with mistakes, I am translating into English with the help of software...

well... being born in the united states doesn't really make a difference in the 21st century. now the internet can afford you a way to do similar things - if that is what you are talking about. joey proves that this can be done anywhere and with very little. but you must be willing to put 200% of theory behind hours and hours of practice. also, it won't hurt to learn by your mistakes.

- first you will need music. from you or another. but the musician must be skilled in an effort to capture the best performance.
- you will also need good instruments. it's not important for the instruments to be perfect... but it is important that the guitars are not noisy and everything is in tune.
- the computer you use will be the most important thing in the room if you intend to do everything on it (so buy smart and think ahead of the tech curve).
- the digital audio workstation (or daw) is the second most important thing in the room. pro tools/cubase/audition/logic/live/sonar ...LEARN them.
- pod farm is a good start for recording guitars (if you can't afford amps and cabs etc). but joey uses pod farm so if that's what you're after, then...
- make sure to purchase a really good DI box (do research) this will ensure you get a clean signal into your computer.
- next you will need an audio interface. these can range from $50 to $3000 so choose wisely. it's important to buy based on converters (a/d - d/a) do research.
- usually the next phase is monitoring but that is all based on how you hear stuff. so find a way to listen back (or monitor) that is most comfortable for you.
- anything after performance/tracking is entirely subjective. learn to mix with your heart and "soul" don't expect everything to come together all at once.
- buy tutorial dvd's that will push you in the right direction for what it is that you are trying to do... go to groove3 for starters.

- the old saying is "a mix is never finished, it's abandoned" ...this just means you may or may not be completely satisfied with your mixes so sometimes it's just best to walk away to get more clarity. people will let you know how they feel about your mix/music. so you can't always be the judge.

the most important advice i can give is... be yourself. we all love joey's mixes/masters but mainly because it brings out a special vibe (deep down) that can potentially make us creative and unique. don't go out of your way to "sound like -insert producer-" because ultimately, you will be mostly recognized as a copycat which can be flattering (i'm sure) but derogatory nonetheless.

i'm sure joey likes all the love/hate he gets from his listeners because in the long run it just makes him better and better but copycats can be insulting and most significantly cheapens the idea or concept of joey's work.

everything i have said here is just based on ideas... people can/will expand and eventually (after years of experience) you will find yourself right where you want to be... or not.

edit: i forgot to mention drums... joey has used steven slate drums for a while but he always uses different kits that will work best for the band he is producing or mixing. and besides slate products being amazing i would say they have some of the best customer service i have experienced in the realm of digital audio products.

timislegend, Thank you very much for your help, dude. But I'm not so novice as you thought) I have the little experience, I understand the processes and have the minimum equipment for this. Just compared to you (people with more experience) and Joey I'm just nothing)))
I have a good computer, interface Line 6, excellent Japanese seven-string Ibanez, well I know Cubase 5 and a lot of different plug-ins.
I just really want to learn from smart people from across the planet))) especially if they are familiar with the work of Joey)

So, What do you think when Joey mixing Oceano 2009 he used his drums or Slate?
Where emulation Mesa better Metalshop or Pod Farm 2?

I find it difficult to understand forum in English, because if I ask questions that have already been discussed please understand me and forgive me ...

Sorry for the mistakes, dudes)
And thank you all for your help, I am very pleased!)))

Such situation - we agreed to work with a good sound engineer of Belorusii.And I waited all month ...Нe was such a man that does everything as he likes and not listens to others, so when I began to criticize the mix, he immediately said, "if you do not like - Mix-It-Yourself"

It is very important track for us, with his team begins a new life .. we even shot a music video ..(very cool..really)
Now it turns out that music video is almost ready, people are waiting for release, and we even have no track yet ...
Therefore, he decided to try to make a mix .. hardly get something good out but we do not have .. all di-tracks recorded,...can someone of you can try to mix our track, I'll pay of course for good results, and if the result is very good it comes to that, and before the album))

Here's my profile on facebook if that http://www.facebook.com/Spell88

Such situation - we agreed to work with a good sound engineer of Belorusii.And I waited all month ...Нe was such a man that does everything as he likes and not listens to others, so when I began to criticize the mix, he immediately said, "if you do not like - Mix-It-Yourself"

It is very important track for us, with his team begins a new life .. we even shot a music video ..(very cool..really)
Now it turns out that music video is almost ready, people are waiting for release, and we even have no track yet ...
Therefore, he decided to try to make a mix .. hardly get something good out but we do not have .. all di-tracks recorded,...can someone of you can try to mix our track, I'll pay of course for good results, and if the result is very good it comes to that, and before the album))

Here's my profile on facebook if that http://www.facebook.com/Spell88

If you can post the song in it's rough mix or whatever, I may be up to do the job.

What? I asked YOU to send the demo to me. If I can hear what it will sound like then I may be up for the job. :p

I have Sent a link to the demo in private message.Sorry, man. Soft-translator incorrectly translated))

Hey Spell - I've emailed you like 3 times dude. Please stop clicking on the "report post" icon. You didn't send a private message, you reported the post to the site admin (me) .

To send a private message, click on the person's name and choose "Send a private message..."

Please stop using the icon that has the " ! " on it.

Hey Spell - I've emailed you like 3 times dude. Please stop clicking on the "report post" icon. You didn't send a private message, you reported the post to the site admin (me) .

To send a private message, click on the person's name and choose "Send a private message..."

Please stop using the icon that has the " ! " on it.

crap...sorry, I am a new one on this forum:loco:

MetalAges said:
you reported the post to the site admin (me) .

I don't know why but that made me laugh for like 20 minutes!!

As for the thread, I'll have a go at the mix if I can get my hands on some stems.